Maraca cabocla. The new species in the hobby.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been waiting for this moment for three months. The announcement of my latest purchase the Maraca cabocla
This is a new species for the US and so far I am the only one to have them. Knowing this I bought three...
A mature male, A mature female and a sub adult female.

Initial thoughts on this species so far. Not aggressive. Does not kick hairs but can be quick and skittish. Nothing is known on this species so I'm totally on my own here. The mature male is at 3" legspan so that leads me to beleive that this spider in female would not get too much towards 5" The mature female I have is around 4"-4.5" LS.
The colors so far are a maroonish color (dark red) carapace with a black abdomen and legs. Underside is a tanish/brown coloring. The rear legs has spike looking hairs (legs 3 and 4)for both male and female while legs 1 and 2 are normal. (see pictures below) And both male and female look the same as far as coloration patterns. The female has a brighter reddish coloration than the mature male. The male does have hooks and super long legs.
The fangs look large and hang down a bit lower so they can be seen when you look at them sideways. I don't know anything other than what is in front of me and that they came from Guyana. All three are Wild Caught.
They (with the exception of the MM) need a molt to get the full suit coloration since the abdomen hairs are missing. I only have one shot at mating so I'm going to monitor everything closely. I do not know what to expect or provide for them for mating to happen but I am going to try. I do not know how old the male is or when was the last Mature females molt. She did take a B. lateralis immediately so I know she is not in premolt (that and the fact that her abdomen is not shiny black).

I'm so excited.{D

Now for pictures!
Mature Male.

Mature Female. She's missing leg 3. I have never had a T with missing limbs so this will be fascinating seeing how it grows back in future molt cycles. This was the only Mature female available so I had to jump on it. She is alot bigger than the male.

Sub-Adult Female. Gorgeous!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Interesting...They have a Cyclosternum type look to them....

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HEllo All,
Where did you buy them from? Are they correclty identificated??

regards

francisco

madamwlf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is my gal after a molt. She's just beautiful. Finally got another one and I'm hoping it's a male.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well Talon,looks like you are not the only one now..........

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That looks beautiful madamwlf.

Well Talon,looks like you are not the only one now..........
I guess I am not the only one to have these (as i was told from Todd Gearheart ).
Good, maybe more chances to bring them into the hobby. What are they like?

HEllo All,
Where did you buy them from?
regards

francisco
You can get them from Tarantulaspiders.com

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That looks beautiful madamwlf.

I guess I am not the only one to have these (as i was told from Todd Gearheart ).
Good, maybe more chances to bring them into the hobby. What are they like?

You can get them from Tarantulaspiders.com
Yea,these days no matter what anyone says,you can almost bet that someone else already has something,somewhere,or is working on getting it....Just like the new T's that KenthebugGuy is trying to sell that look EXACTLY like a C.fasciatum....I would be willing to bet that somewhere someone already has one and thinks it's C.fasciatum....Who knows,this hobby is just confusing sometimes....But cool T's nonetheless Talon....

madamwlf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She's skittish as you said and not aggressive at all. Big appetite as well. She isn't much of a webber or digger. And she is a bit of a show off. Always sitting out.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea,these days no matter what anyone says,you can almost bet that someone else already has something,somewhere,or is working on getting it....Just like the new T's that KenthebugGuy is trying to sell that look EXACTLY like a C.fasciatum....I would be willing to bet that somewhere someone already has one and thinks it's C.fasciatum....Who knows,this hobby is just confusing sometimes....But cool T's nonetheless Talon....
You are right. I always wanted a red/black looking spider opposite of the B. boehmei and this one fits the bill nicely. Heres where I thought it was a first time species as stated in the ad.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=165131&highlight=maraca+cabocla

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She's skittish as you said and not aggressive at all. Big appetite as well. She isn't much of a webber or digger. And she is a bit of a show off. Always sitting out.
Thats great to hear. A show off is what I love. The sub adult female is going to be my prized girl. Can't wait till she molts and gets new colors. Definately picture worthy.

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ooooh, I likey, likey, man I have to have one of those critters ! :drool::drool::drool:

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I asked him about those and this is what was said.
Last year, similar-looking
tarantulas came in and were thought to be Holothele rondoni. I sold
them as that, but nobody looked at them taxonomically. That batch could
have been H. rondoni. This batch was looked at in Germany and
identified as Maraca.
I know there was 7 total that came in for the batch hes referring to. Two of them were MM's. One died and I have the only other MM from that batch. Either way they are gorgeous.

Last edited:

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Maraca cabocla was sold as Holothele sp. "Guyana" before it was identified.

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow, they are beautiful, cant wait to see them in canada
have these for about two years already at my place... my last round of mature males, my females were too small, hopefully the next round will be the right one.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
PREMOLT TIME!!!!

Yes I went to check on my sub adult female today and she has a black abdomen! Wonderful! She may turn to a mature age now! She was almost the same size as the mature female except her legs were thinner while the mature leg's were thicker. Now I know why she didn't want to eat{D

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is not the same tarantula! Look at the legs 3 and 4. It does not have the spikes. Also M. cabocla has all black hairs on its legs. Look at my pictures and compare.

another much more important difference is that M. cabocla has urticating hairs, the other one lacks them.