G. rosea: bad molt?

fomor

Arachnopeon
Hi. My adult G. rosea molted a week ago, I've had her for about six months and this is her first molt in my care. She appeared to finish the molt successfully but has not really moved since. She is still on her back with the shed skin on top of her, I haven't disturbed her and humidity is 65-70. She moves a bit every now and then but I'm very worried. Is there anything I should do?

Attachments

cobaltbrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tarantulas can take a long time to molt. How long has it been flipped. I'd say give it some time and maintain your humidity.

madamwlf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry but it shouldn't still be on its back after a week. maybe it is stuck in the molt. You could try gently lifting the molt off to see if it is. She should have righted herself by now. Hope she is okay.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She definitely should have turned over by now :(

It's possible that the molt is stuck to part of her abdomen or something... by now, the molt will be hard. Try gently moistening it, with either a wet Q-tip or something else soft or spraying a little water (mind the book lungs)

Good luck!

cobaltbrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I didn't see the part that said it had been a week! Sorry I have a hard time reading all tghis tiny text on my phone.

I hope she's alright. What they said above me.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, that's no good. I think the molt is stuck to the spider somehow; spider might be dead.

I'd try lifting the molt off to see if it's free, but be cautious when doing so; I doubt it will come off.

fomor

Arachnopeon
I tried lifting the skin and she is stuck, it looks like one or two legs on the same side. She moved around a lot after I tried and still looks quite energetic despite everything.
I moistened the skin and have left her for a while now but she is still stuck, is there anything else I can do to help her out of the molt?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
After that long, it's going to be tough to get them out without her losing the legs.

I would wait to see if any others have some ideas, but I really see no other alternative at this point, unless you want to try cutting the main part of the molt off so all that remains are the two stuck legs.

How much of them is still stuck in the molt?

fomor

Arachnopeon
I put her in an icu for a while which softened the molt up a lot, I was able to help her get most of it off. She had lost two legs and one other was quite bent and crippled. She seems quite weak and her abdomen is shriveled. I have been dripping water into her mouth periodically but is there anything else I can do to get her back to health?

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not really. Keep her in the ICU, and keep her hydration up.

I think, by and large, that's about all you can do.

fomor

Arachnopeon
I found her in a death curl this morning, I suppose it was for the better though, it was a really bad molt and she had lost a lot of legs. She will be missed.
Thanks so much everyone for all your help and advice.