Maraca cabocla breeding attemps

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I figured I will post the results of the breeding of my Maraca cabocla.

Details: Breeding was done only at night after midnight. No noise at all (everyone asleep) and lights were off except a red light bulb. I noticed that all three of mine were only active at night so thats when I thought was the best time to perform the breeding. The red light bulb allowed them to come out and play. Regular light makes them retreat and hide.

Temps were around 75F. Female was fed everyday one large female B. lateralis roach for 7 days. (Slightly larger than adult female crickets) Took every single one! On two occasions I fed a second roach and she ate those too!
Introduced male from the top level. (picture of enclosure below) Total time that male was in her enclosure was 3 hours. The video is the final 2.5 minutes before taking male out. He approached her 2-3 times but she always walked away avoiding him. A couple of time he fled from her when she walked around than turned around and slowly approached. She never payed any attention to him. He never walked on the first lower level.
Enclosure #8 (2.5 gallon series) for reference.

Breeding #1 Best viewed full screen.

[YOUTUBE]UDylUIgvclM[/YOUTUBE]

For second attempt i fed her 6 hours before introducing male. Once again she pounced and ate. For breeding #2, Same conditions as the first breeding. But this time when male was introduced he went straight to the lower level. She was in her den. He walked towards her den but then tried to go up the ramp and that was when she attacked. It was so fast! It was over!. Male lost his tibia mating spur leg and eventually his life. She didn't hold on to him so I assume it was a defensive attack. In the video you can see in the reflection of the enclosures glass that he was still moving his leg, twitching. I could not see a puncture wound, but then again he is so small and had substrate all over him. He expired shortly after ward. (death curl) The total time male was in her enclosure was roughly 15 minutes.

Breeding #2 (no music background was added so you can get the full situation live. ) Best viewed full screen.

[YOUTUBE]EteuSR-vme0[/YOUTUBE]

I was bummed about this due to the fact that I'm afraid of never being able to breed these. The only hope I have lies in the reputation of Wild Caught adult females being gravid. My doubts are of course high but hoping for a miracle. She has eaten alot and keeps eating. She avoided the male heavily in first breeding attemps. And attacked defensively in the second. Maybe I'm over analyzing the situation but either way it was depressing.:(

I will continue to feed her until she stops eating on her own.

Last edited:

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really dig the enclosure. I've never really heard much about this species, but I googled some pics and they look very beautiful. Like you stated, hopefully she was already mated coming into your possession. But good luck with that species, nonetheless. :clap:

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That must have been a stressful experience, sorry about the male not making it. Your enclosure is really great, very attractive. I wonder for breeding, if it wouldn't make sense to use a more open enclosure, so you could intervene to save the male if she attacked with no breeding taking place?

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That must have been a stressful experience, sorry about the male not making it. Your enclosure is really great, very attractive. I wonder for breeding, if it wouldn't make sense to use a more open enclosure, so you could intervene to save the male if she attacked with no breeding taking place?

Yes super stressful. I kept thinking, this is my only chance. So when I saw the male get attacked I was devastated. Actually got nautious/sick to my stomach.
As for the enclosures, thanks for the comments. You should check out my others. Link to my Custom creations are in my signature.

As for more space...Well I believe in having the female mate in an environment that is familiar and what she would call home. So if I was to initially want to breed in a larger enclosure than she would have to live in one. So the enclosure I tried to breed her in is her permanent home. compared to her size, its huge. Since they are wild caught, I have no idea what to expect from these. It happened so fast and I highly doubt i could have intervened fast enough to have a positive outcome for the male.

For my other female, I will be using enclosure #7.

madamwlf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Rough luck!!! Hope your gal might already be gravid.