shipping large amounts of Tarantula slings?

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I will have to ship out a few large orders of L.p's, and i am wondering how you can ship a bunch of Ts. Do you suggest that i use straws for them all? I have been thinking that if they are newly second instar that maybe they can be shipped in a larger container containing a large amount of slings with minimal losses. has any one had good luck shipping large amounts of slings at once? thanks for any and all input, and suggestions.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I will have to ship out a few large orders of L.p's, and i am wondering how you can ship a bunch of Ts. Do you suggest that i use straws for them all? I have been thinking that if they are newly second instar that maybe they can be shipped in a larger container containing a large amount of slings with minimal losses. has any one had good luck shipping large amounts of slings at once? thanks for any and all input, and suggestions.
I don't think its a good idea to clump them all in one container to ship (if thats what you mean) The straw method would be the best and safest for all of them. Granted it will take some time and alot of work, but thats part of the hobby when you are a seller.
If you can imagine the postal workers playing football with your box, it probably happens.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you do a search for a thread called "101.. and they aren't Dalmatians" it's about where I received a shipment of 101 slings, 100 of which were in straws :)

He packed the slings in straws, and then packed the straws into plastic Containter Store containers to keep them safe... all slings arrive safe and sound!

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The best way to ship a large amount of 2nd instars is inside 1 deli cup with a bunch of loose toilet paper, but make sure it's enough as to not bounce around. The straw method is entirely too time consuming for a large amount of slings. I use the straw method up to about 50. After that, shipping bulk is your best bet. I've done it a few times, and have received them this way a few times. So far, there was only one loss and it was not due to cannabilism.

Edited to add: I will also usually throw in an extra 5-10 slings to account for any losses which has not happened. Also if you speak to most of the large breeders, they use this method for bulk shipments.

Last edited:

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The best way to ship a large amount of 2nd instars is inside 1 deli cup with a bunch of loose toilet paper, but make sure it's enough as to not bounce around. The straw method is entirely too time consuming for a large amount of slings. I use the straw method up to about 50. After that, shipping bulk is your best bet. I've done it a few times, and have received them this way a few times. So far, there was only one loss and it was not due to cannabilism.
Yea especially since the Josh stated that it was a L.P. sac so im sure he has a lot of little guys to ship. I could only imagine how much time it would take to pack them all. BTW Josh how many did you end up with?

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you do a search for a thread called "101.. and they aren't Dalmatians" it's about where I received a shipment of 101 slings, 100 of which were in straws :)

He packed the slings in straws, and then packed the straws into plastic Containter Store containers to keep them safe... all slings arrive safe and sound!
now do that with 500!:confused:

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yea especially since the josh stated that it was a l.p. Sac so im sure he has a lot of little guys to ship. I could only imagine how much time it would take to pack them all. Btw josh how many did you end up with?
2500+........1i

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh man! thats alot! Yeah, I understand now why you asked about this. Congrats...

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
2500+........1i
The sooner you get them out after 2nd instar, the better off you will be. I have kept a few species together up to 2 weeks after 2nd instar without cannabilism occuring.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
now do that with 500!:confused:

Sorry - I didn't assume that by "large" shipments, you meant 500 :confused:

101 slings is the "largest" shipment I have dealt with, so I was adding my input to my interpretation of the question.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Sorry - I didn't assume that by "large" shipments, you meant 500 :confused:

101 slings is the "largest" shipment I have dealt with, so I was adding my input to my interpretation of the question.
No problem. I was thinking about the straws and got discouraged after cutting about 200. so i decided to ask for advice.
and smitty i was thinking that same thing if i can get them out2 or three days after 2i they should be fine,probaly more like 4-5 days so i know there not as fragile. i got three vegans in a shipment together and they were fine. but i think i will have to add a half to a dozen extras just in case. thanks every one

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Edited to add: I will also usually throw in an extra 5-10 slings to account for any losses which has not happened. Also if you speak to most of the large breeders, they use this method for bulk shipments.
Just wanted to echo this as well; it's the best way to go with quantities like that.

Good luck! :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would have to agree with Smitty and Joe.. When I shipped that package to Teal with that 101 slings.. It took me 4 hours to pack them all up in the straws.. I mainly did it that way because they were already eating.. I didnt want to have them eat each other on the way.. 500+ slings would take forever to pack.. LOL.. I had help from a couple people when I was packing and it still took 4 hours..

Oh BTW that is ALOT of LPs.. LOL!!

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have shipped bulk(all in one container) many times without any problems. As long as you don't wait too long after they molt to 2nd instar you should be fine. Just make sure you put enough padding in the container.

vohnholley

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I personally think what ever is the easiest for you. I just recieved 20 Rosea slings in the mail. I only lost two. To me, that is still acceptable since there were extras in the box anyway.. I didnt complain!!!!