Rosea eggsac questions

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok here goes.
my parents absolutly refuse to turn the heat up above 70 degrees will the eggs develope in 70 degrees?
2 what should the humidity be. I soaked down the subsrate about a week before she laid the sac and I would assume the humidity is around 70%.
its been a little over a week. I have an incubator built should I go ahead and pull the sac and place it in the incubator or just leave it and hope for the best?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would think the eggs would still develop, just not as quickly. I keep my invert room at about 50% to 60% humidity. As far as pulling the sac, most people recommend 30 days. However, my female tore the sac open and was eating the eggs at 2 weeks. On my next G. rosea sac, I'll pull it after 1 week. Then you won't have to worry about the humidity. Depending upon your set up, you might even be able to maintain a better temp. Deli cup half full of soaked perlite in a styrofoam cooler with a heat source hooked up to a thermostat would work perfectly. It would give you a higher temp and a steady humidity.

Botar

Edit: Keep in mind on my G. rosea sac where the female was eating the eggs, the eggs I was able to salvage later hatched out. I wound up with about 25 slings.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well in all actuality I would say that my room stays around 75 degrees. I plan on leaving the female with the sac for as long as possible. now she does leave the sac on occasion... I have seen her away from it about four or five times.. is she thirsty, hungry, or just out for a stroll? I keep water in her dish and I let it spill over. anything els I should do

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like you are doing what you can. G. rosea are notorious for eating the sacs though. IME, her leaving the sac doesn't sound right. I'm not sure as to why she's doing it, but it doesn't sound right to me. Mine have always stayed right with the sac.

Botar

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
99% of the time she is with the sac when she leaves i it is just for a minute and then she is right back. the firsttime she did it I thought she was thirsty so I just barely trickled some water in her water dish it dries out quickly. and a bit splashed on her I guess because she darted right back to her sac. I see her pull the sac up the little hill the she made when she dug out for the sac. she will pull it up hold it with her palps and masage it with her legs then she will roll it back down the hill and sit on top of it . she seems to be doing her job. should i pull it after thirty days?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In the long run, whether you pull it or not, and when, is going to be your choice. I would pull it sooner, but that is simply due to the experience I've had with them. Someone just posted a thread about a Brachypelma species where the female ate the sac just after 30 days and he was going to pull it any day. I've never heard any accounts where pulling a sac too soon resulted in problems. Some people may pull a sac and have fertility problems, but who's to say they wouldn't have had the problems anyway?

Botar