Avicularia Versicolor sling question!

cobaltbrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My avicularia versicolor molted a couple days ago. When it first molted its legs where a white color. Since then, the legs have darkened to the nice blue of versi slings. Anyway, the molt went well. It was quick and it didn't get any legs stuck. Came out beautifully.

However now I keep finding the spider in awkward positions inside its web tube. Perhaps its still just awkward from the molt? Or maybe the web tube is too small for it now?

Opinions wanted! I just want to know if I should perhaps open a part of the webbing so it can move about, or just shut up and let the thing do its business.

If you need a pic example I can try to get one.

But here's a physical description of the last position I found it in: horizontal inside the tube web. Three legs of its right side were back behind the carapice, one forward toward the pedipalps. The pedipalps were comepletely forward, and on the left side of its body two legs were awkwardly placed next to the abdomen, two straight forward like a pokie.

Anyway... sorry for bothering people so much. I just love my babies so much.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Doesn't sound like it's really anything to worry about, tarantulas will arrange themselves in whatever manner that they find to be most comfortable for their surroundings.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Its completely normal. They will stretch several times a day after they have molted. It takes about a week for them to finish constantly stretching.

cobaltbrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its completely normal. They will stretch several times a day after they have molted. It takes about a week for them to finish constantly stretching.
That's great imformation. Something I will keep in mind cause I plan on adding more Avicularia genus to my collection. Couldn't help myself with the versicolor though. So pretty.

I'll just leave it be for a while then. The adbodem is looking quite small (though it is still a tiny sling) but I probably will wait another week to attempt a feed.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Slings = yoga artists! :D Especially fresh after a molt when they are still soft.

Your sling will widen, expand, and redecorate to accommodate its added size.. so there is no need to modify the current webbing in any way.

For a sling your size, I'd say waiting a full 7 days after the molt before trying to feed would be fine. I've had a 1.5" juvie eat a roach two days after molting (it was in there from when I tried to feed her before her molt, and couldn't get it out when she was fresh from a molt)... so the long wait is mostly a "better safe than sorry" theory.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Same here! I always wait atleast 7 days, even for some of the tiny guys.. I would be sad if anyone got hurt :(