Pacific N.W. Centipedes

jaijjs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Up here in the Northwest corner of the map, I have been collecting what I beleave to be two different species of Centipedes. I have been stumped as to the names of these. If anyone has any suggestions as to what they are, and any books that might help, I sure would be greatful.
The first one is yellowish orange, the legs are lighter colored. They seem to max out at around 4.5" to 5". These are VERY fast.
The second one is more redish in color. Again, the legs are lighter. They run on the smaller size 1.5" to 2" long. I must apoligize for not having a camera to post pictures.. Thanks for any and all info.. :?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
very hard to tell without any pictures,...
did you count the pair of leggs and the segments on their antenna?
are they scolopendradidae?
if so, some very wild guesses would be:

polymorpha?,viridis?,alternans?,

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have dozens of these guys in my back yard in Oregon. The red ones at least, are Lithobius sp. with 15 pairs of legs. Very small, about 1 inch. Too cold for Scolopendra !!

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are you in the dessert area of Washington state? Oregon has Polymorpha or maybe Viridis way south towards california. Maybe these are found in eastern Washington too ?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Too cold for Scolopendra !!
just to show you how well i know all the states of your enormous country =D guess i only know 3 states or so :rolleyes:

jaijjs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We live west of Seattle on the Straits of Jaun de fuca. Across from Victoria, B.C. The one that Bob from Oregon mentions sounds like the smaller of the two. There sure is a need for more published datta on Centipedes. I'm going to see if a friend can take some pics so I can post here. Thanks for the info.

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
>The first one is yellowish orange, the legs are lighter colored. They seem to max out at around 4.5" to 5".

Cool....this one is odd in the cold climate area where you live.....new to me !! Did you see more than one? I would like if you could post a photo!

Bob

jaijjs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The larger ones I've found are mostly around old areas where they have logged in years past. I have found them near the rivers as well as near the extreme high tide zone. Always under wood, never under rocks. The little one I've found almost everywhere. Old growth timber, clear cuts, rivers, around wood piles. The little ones are by far the most common. I would say that I've found 10-15 little ones to each of the larger ones.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are some pics of a centipede i just captured.

Last edited:

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
jaijjs said:
We live west of Seattle on the Straits of Jaun de fuca. Across from Victoria, B.C. The one that Bob from Oregon mentions sounds like the smaller of the two. There sure is a need for more published datta on Centipedes. I'm going to see if a friend can take some pics so I can post here. Thanks for the info.
my dad used to be the director of the king county department of corrections
i lived just outside seattle 10 years of my life in a town called Issaquah (Sammamish now i think)

and yeah, way too cold for scolopendras but certainly wet enough for any tropical species

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
324r350 said:
my dad used to be the director of the king county department of corrections
i lived just outside seattle 10 years of my life in a town called Issaquah (Sammamish now i think)

and yeah, way too cold for scolopendras but certainly wet enough for any tropical species
WA state scolopendromorphae

two scolocryptops, one of which extends to ALASKA!

no scolopendra genus, though polymorpha *almost* extends to south east :)