Are these good intermediate species?

cavelle

Arachnopeon
I've been looking at the following species:
Nhandu coloratovillosus
Holothele incei
Acanthoscurria brocklehursti
I already keep 1 G. rosea, 1 G. pulchripes, and 1 unknown (he's really jumpy and skittish)
I'd like to step it up a notch, so I was considering one (or more hehe) of the above species. Could you tell me which one(s) are good or bad, and why?
I've researched them a bit, but I'd like your opinions!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those are all still new world guys...if you want to turn it up a little either venture in to an old world or get something arboreal (P. cambridgei, P. irminia, for example) to work with.

Just my thoughts. :)

Although...I'd get H. incei regardless!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What he said. {D

You can't go wrong with a Psalmo. They make very interesting webs, good appetite and get pretty fiesty as they age. I'd still get the Acanthoscurria brocklehursti, though. I have a sling that's not even 1/2" and it's trying its hardest to kick hair at me. :rolleyes:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been looking at the following species:
Nhandu coloratovillosus
Holothele incei
Acanthoscurria brocklehursti
I already keep 1 G. rosea, 1 G. pulchripes, and 1 unknown (he's really jumpy and skittish)
I'd like to step it up a notch, so I was considering one (or more hehe) of the above species. Could you tell me which one(s) are good or bad, and why?
I've researched them a bit, but I'd like your opinions!
If you haven't, you should put up a pic of your unknown and see if anyone can id it. Is it an aphonopelma? They can be tough.

Those would be good intermediates. I'd suggest an arboreal as well, they're fun. What would you guys say about pamphos? Are those an intermediate species or advanced? For what that ranking system's worth, that is

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What would you guys say about pamphos? Are those an intermediate species or advanced?
I would say Pampho's fall inline with the majority of the NW terrestrials. Very similar to Acanthoscurria, Xenesthis, Nhandu, etc.... All are unique in their own way, but overall are fairly similar.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I started with a G.pulchripes and A.avicularia.

When I put in the order to expand my collection, H.incei was one of them. The only real "step up" with mine is that he is much faster. Regardless of the fact they are still an "easy" species, get the incei ( or a few :D) I love mine, awesome little spider.

I can't really give you any advice on what to get as an intermediate spider though, as I kind of jumped that step, and ordered all NW's and an OBT (I just couldn't resist.)

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get hooked on the Pokies !!!!!! and asian areborals!!!! lol they literaly cleaned my bank accounts!

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Intermediate NW's

Your choices are good. You shouldn't have any problems. Nhandus & Genics are still relatively large, slow-moving NW terrestrials with relatively mild venom. The main difference is they are more skittish, not as tolerate of handling, and are more likely to throw hair. But that's all-you should be fine.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Those are all still new world guys...if you want to turn it up a little either venture in to an old world or get something arboreal (P. cambridgei, P. irminia, for example) to work with.

Just my thoughts. :)

Although...I'd get H. incei regardless!
+1 on The H. incei. They are facinating little buggers. I have two about 1" and they are always doing something, webbing, eatting, molting... lol, awesome species. One of mine just molted last night to what looks about 1.5".

The best part about H. incei... they are communal and dwarfs so you can have a fair number together!

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol i never understood the whole intermediate thing lol my P regalis is much more docile than the little 1'' B. (i think it was bohimie) i fould once lol it tried to bite me

cavelle

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone! I decided on 3 species I'm gonna get from Tarantula Canada soon...

Avicularia versicolor
Nhandu chromatus
and Holothele incei

:)

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks everyone! I decided on 3 species I'm gonna get from Tarantula Canada soon...

Avicularia versicolor
Nhandu chromatus
and Holothele incei
Maraca horrida

:)
I added something to your list to take the temptation away from me buying it myself :D

Cass

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rolflmao :p

Oh wow, that's pretty :)
Isn't she...*sigh*

If they still have her in July I think I'm gonna take the plunge and buy her, they've had her for a few months and every time I go to their website I just stare at the picture trying to justify spending that much money on something that I may never find a male for (like our E. pachypus).

Who am I kidding, I'm gonna end up buying her this summer. She's just so beautiful. The picture on their website isn't of her I don't think, but I've seen her in person at the reptile expo. Pictures cannot do that girl justice :drool:

Cass

cavelle

Arachnopeon
I would have had a shopping list of 4 though, but they don't have any GBB :(
According to Avery Exotics website they have some, but I've tried emailing a few weeks ago and haven't got a reply ;(