Question on Het for albino snakes?

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ok if i bought a 100% het for albino ball python male, and i bred it with a normal female(s) what are my odds of getting an albino??, and what would increse my chances??, thanks--Jeff

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You would get normal looking hets. Albinos could be produced by breeding the hets together or back to the albino.

Phil

Ryan V

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok if i bought a 100% het for albino ball python male, and i bred it with a normal female(s) what are my odds of getting an albino??, and what would increse my chances??
If you bred the 100% het. albino to a normal female, all of the offspring would look normal, but would be 50% het. for albino(0% chance of getting an albino). Genetics can get quite complicated.....
-Albino X Albino=all albino offspring
-Albino X normal=all 100% het. albino offspring
-Albino X 100% het.=1/2 albino and 1/2 het albino offspring
-100% het. albino X 100% het. albino=1/3 albino,1/3 100% het, and 1/3 normal offspring*
-100% het. X normal=all 50% het. for albino
*66% hets are produced from a het. to het. breeding: since 66% of the offspring look normal, and we cannot tell which is het. for albino, the normal patterned snakes are 66% het. albino.
Many possibilities.....

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So what happens when you cross a "normal corn" with a black rat snake?

What if that "normal corn" is actually a het for something?

Jon

sinsect

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
So what happens when you cross a "normal corn" with a black rat snake?

What if that "normal corn" is actually a het for something?

Jon
Corn snake breeding gets tricky. Basically all pet-trade corn snakes are het for something, so in any breeding of an unrelated pair, you'd be likely to get a virtual rainbow of colors...Impossible to trace what trait came from which parent in many cases.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A corn crossed with a black rat would be a hybrid or intergrade depending on ones definition.

Colors and pattern would be affected by whatever traits laid dormant in each of them.

Phil

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

ok , so if i buy a 100% het albino male BP(w/documents and papers from an honest dealer), i then breed him with a normal female, and produce 50% het for albino young, then i keep at least 4-6 females if i have that many... then line breed them back to the father, i should in theory have at least 1-2 albinos hatching out?, then i could sell the young off, breed the albino to another 100% (new blood)het and be producing albinos with no prob really?, either way i am going for a male 100% soon, looks like this will be a 2-4 year project i think, --Jeff

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

wait , i think i would be better off getting the 100% het for albino male, and several normal ready to breed females yes? to increase my odds, have hets to sell/trade, more females to breed with?