A Versicolor sling died. Did i do anything wrong?

farrisbaharom

Arachnopeon
hey guys

not good news, as you can see from the title :confused:
i'm just so disappointed and angry at myself - i just want to know if anyone can tell what i did wrong/ could have improved.

a versi's are just gorgeous T's and i would really like to try again.
so please help me by having a look at the enclosure etc pix below and tell me if you can see where i went wrong.

enclosure was a deli cup
sling is just under 1.3cm
sling was received on sunday, 14 mar, COD
was doin ok last night, the night before - he was on the wall of the enclosure, by the air holes.
subs is sphagnum moss
temps were constant 22C
low light - no sunlight
ambient humidity was 50%, inside enclosure was above 85%
over close to 30 air holes for circulation

cheers guys

farrisbaharom

Arachnopeon
yep - the moss was wet

The sphagnum looks pretty wet in the pics.
yup, that's my lead suspect now.
thanks for your input - i appreciate it

but i normally keep all my new arrivals extra humid for the first 2-3 days before i graduate them to coco peat. guess maybe i over did it this time?

granted this has always worked with terrestrials - this is my first avic. sp sling.

cheers

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The enclosure looks to be to big for that 1'' sling.. As stated the moss looks really wet..

I keep the moss in my Avics enclosure a little moist.. But I wouldnt suggest keeping one in that large of an enclosure..

farrisbaharom

Arachnopeon
thimble deli cup then, ok

The enclosure looks to be to big for that 1'' sling.. As stated the moss looks really wet..

I keep the moss in my Avics enclosure a little moist.. But I wouldnt suggest keeping one in that large of an enclosure..
ok,thanks mate - so maybe i should have left him in the thimble sized deli cup?

cheers

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've never had a problem keeping a sling in a larger enclosure. The only problem becomes if they don't grab their food, they might not find it.

I would bet it was just a weaker sling to begin with. Little tiny avics have a tendency to cull themselves out pretty quickly...

I always suggest going with juvies, or atleast larger slings, when it comes to Avics.. just because it does seem to be common to lose the little guys to seemingly unknown causes, which I really think it just natural selection.

Sorry about your loss :(

Jilly1337

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think the moisture played a bigger role than enclosure size. You want the air to be humid but you don't want the substrate to be sopping wet.

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Avicularia slings can be difficult when very tiny. Too little humidity can kill them in less than 24 hours and too much can be just as bad. Sometimes everything seems perfect and they die anyway. Don't feel too bad, most of my sling deaths have been Avicularia. Use this as a learning experience.
In the future, you may try a taller container putting a large droplet of water at the bottom and allowing the sling to regulate the local humidity by moving higher or lower in the vial. Something with a small diameter but rather tall like some of the commonly used shipping vials allows vertical movement while limiting the places that prey items can hide. You don't actually need any substrate for slings of that size. That helps to keep the vial clean and free of mold and bacteria. Just keep the vial in a dark area when not feeding or cleaning to reduce stress. Keep an extra vial handy so that when it's time to clean old prey items or droppings, you have a place to put the little guy.

farrisbaharom

Arachnopeon
thanks for the input guys

this has been a real learning experience.
thanks for all the replies - they have really helped give me a better inside look and feel of this sp.

guess the real shock is that i've raised terrestrials (grammy''s, brachy's) from a smaller size with no deaths whatsoever.

this has been humbling to the max.
i appreciate all your replies, guys. really do.

note to self:

small diameter, taller vial - i really need to find the perfect container.
not so easy here in Malaysia.

damp not dry
get a few, not just the one

cheers

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never had a problem keeping a sling in a larger enclosure. The only problem becomes if they don't grab their food, they might not find it.

I would bet it was just a weaker sling to begin with. Little tiny avics have a tendency to cull themselves out pretty quickly...

I always suggest going with juvies, or atleast larger slings, when it comes to Avics.. just because it does seem to be common to lose the little guys to seemingly unknown causes, which I really think it just natural selection.

I have never had a problem with keeping smaller T's in larger enclosures either..
Since Avics are more sensitive don't you keep your in a more size appropriate enclosure?

I think the moisture played a bigger role than enclosure size. You want the air to be humid but you don't want the substrate to be sopping wet.
You are probably right about the moisture playing a bigger role than the enclosure size.. I was just pointing out that the enclosure that he has for a 1" avic is to big IMO..

To the OP.. Sorry for your loss.. Good luck on the next one..

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
First I'm sorry for your loss. :( The are so sensitive to changes. I got three a. avic slings at the same time, same exact living conditions and two died within 2 weeks. The other one is getting big and thriving. It's hard to know why. Sometimes I think it is just nature thinning the species as it is meant to do and it is out of our control.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't really worry about size for my slings. I had 2 versi slings but now only 1, and it is thriving and is about 1.5", the other one died while molting. That one was around .5"-.75".

This is what I raised/keep them in:

They are about 6" tall by 4" by 4".

dopamine

Arachnobaron

^+1 I have a 1inch versi sling as well that is living in a small KK. Prob the next one up from the smallest and she seems fine.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
I don't really worry about size for my slings. I had 2 versi slings but now only 1, and it is thriving and is about 1.5", the other one died while molting. That one was around .5"-.75".

This is what I raised/keep them in:

They are about 6" tall by 4" by 4".
Selket where did you get your plastic cube from? I've been looking for those for a while but there are no plastic stores around here.:confused:

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss... everyone has pointed out the probable cause of death.... anyway good luck on your future T's...

nic3805

Arachnopeon
This is how i keep my Versi slings, the two in these containers are 2" and 1 1/2" slings... They've been in these since about a quarter inch and I have never lost a versi sling.

Vent shot:

dopamine

Arachnobaron
^love your set up man. I need to get rid of the Kritter Keeper and get some of these.:)

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have mine in those same containers, I bought them at the container store, but what i notice is that your substrate and wood is really dry. you don't keep it moist?

nic3805

Arachnopeon
I have mine in those same containers, I bought them at the container store, but what i notice is that your substrate and wood is really dry. you don't keep it moist?
The backside of the cork bark where their web tunnels are is dry, I usually mist once a day to every other. You can see that the substrate around the water dishes is wet, I find that to be enough. Im more worried about stagnant air then constant high levels of humidity, but yes the substrate is a little dry, right after I took these pic's I misted them.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those containers look like what im about to put my first T and my two B. jacksoni into.

except i have holes instead of a mesh ring.

Are there any local places with those rings? (craft/hobby store/lowes)
because 12 bucks for 24 PLUS shipping that i've seen is outrageous.