Communal Setup

Fourtanks

Arachnopeon
I have a 29g aquarium (30"L x 12"W x 18"H should be good for arborial) that I want to setup with a communal species. What species would you suggest? How many could I put in this tank? I read on wikipets that A.metallica can be kept communally http://www.care-sheet.com/index/Avicularia_metallica but read mixed reviews here.

Also I am not wanting to have babies at this point in time. If a hidden egg sack hatches in the tank will the adults eat the babies?

Jilly1337

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For some reason, a lot of sources say that Avics are communal but I have never heard of anyone having this work. People seem to have better success with P. murinus and H. incei. You have a LOT of homework to do before starting a project like that.

Do you currently keep any tarantulas?

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you want to do arboreal communal go with something like P. regalis. Avics tend to be less forgiving in a communal situation. I think 29gal is too big for an arboreal communal unless you ahve tons in there. Ryan (talkenlate04) has a large communal going in close quarters look him up.

As for terrestrial communal I would go with H. incei 100%. They are dwarfs and are extremely beautiful. You could have a MASSIVE communal in a 29gallon.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In all honestly, I wouldn't recommend a communal set up if you're not prepared for eggsacs. Especially something like a 29 gallon - you're going to need a lot of specimens for the communal, which skyrockets the chances of eggsacs. You could always remove any eggsacs you find and dispose of them, however, if they lay an eggsac and you don't notice and it hatches - you'll have babies everywhere. Depending on what kind of lid you have for the tank, the chances of the slings (especially something like a tiny H. incei sling) getting out are also great.

Cass

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd go with a holothele incei or a heterothele sp. The tank you are going to use would be too big for a pokie communal. Btw I'm not sure avic's are the most tolerable genus.