New HOT box enclosure

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea, a little sloppy with the construction... really impatient, and its temporary:

P. trans, and A. Australis

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wicked cool! The scorps could care less about your workmanship ;) Very natural-looking setup!

Jeff

Edd Eskimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice box man! Who cares it looks fine by the pics.. Are you scorps. Gravid or how shall i say just real " healthy " :D

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks! The P. trans portion is a mix of excavator sand and orange reptisand, and the A. australis is midnight black reptisand. You can get it at most pet supply stores, franchise or not. I wet down the substrate slightly so they can burrow....which they promptly did. :D

From the looks of it, they are just fat premolt. These are my first specimens of this sp. and Im pretty sure they still have one molt to go judging by their size.

Last edited:

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i thought hot box was what you use to build appetite. so the scorpion would grow faster or something to do with maturing.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That was my first thought too snap. But these species need higher than room temperatures to thrive. So this too, is a hot box, but with different purpose!

*Of note, for those of you unfamiliar....
These species are not burrowers. Maybe a little, but generally they are found under rocks and boards. So they have little insulation from the hot African summers, compared to some burrowing species which would see similar surface temperatures, because they can't cool off in deep burrows. :) r

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think he's referring to the scorpions being "hot", so is calling it a "hot box"(?) Maybe it's gotten twisted from BrianS calling his heated, insulated box he put a lot of baby transvaalicus in to keep them warmer than his house was, a "hot box", or could be coincidence. Anyway, cool setup, I'd put a cap of water in a corner though if there isn't one. They will drink and people tend to keep them too dry and wonder why they get locked up in a molt. I have transvaalicus and wet part of the sub in a corner as soon as it starts to dry up there. I've never had a problem with them getting mycosis as long as there is an open, or screen top.

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
HOT = both species/temp. My house is around 70-75 so I regulate the temp via heat lamps.

I keep the cage around 85*, and I have since put a small shallow water dish in both because I anticipate they will molt sometime soon.

Like I said, these are my first scorps of these sp. and I know they usually hide under something, or dig a small scrape but I'm surprised the P. trans has dug himself a pretty spacious tunnel with a chamber that he chills in. The A. australis has a less elaborate scrape under a piece of cork bark to hide under.

I'll grab some pics when I get home tonight and update it tomorrow with his little burrow. They seem to be loving it so far. :D

Such entertaining scorps! Every night they do a little more rearranging and redecorating to their liking.

Last edited:

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i know what you mean about the P. trans. mine has dug itself a small burrow under a rock and i haven't seen it in a over a week. i check on it the other day and she is still premolt.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I read there is a pretty strong cool down(for P. trans anyway) at night in their natural habitat, esp. in the winter, even getting a frost in places within their range, so I turn off all heat for them at night. It gets cool in the winter in the room I have them in and was worried about it at first but from what I read, a seasonal cool down is natural for them. I wonder if they even go dormant for a short time during the winter in their native habitat(?)

Last edited:

Cowin8579

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Love it! It makes me feel guilty about having everything in tupperware. Display is the way to go.

SixShot666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I read there is a pretty strong cool down(for P. trans anyway) at night in their natural habitat, esp. in the winter, even getting a frost in places within their range, so I turn off all heat for them at night. It gets cool in the winter in the room I have them in and was worried about it at first but from what I read, a seasonal cool down is natural for them. I wonder if they even go dormant for a short time during the winter in their native habitat(?)
But this is for the mature species only right??? The seller that I bought my P.Transvaalicus from told me to NOT let the temperture drop at night for the young scorplings. He's said that a couple of others buyers done this and lost theirs.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can't say I know for sure. Maybe those people that lost some babies assumed it was from a temp drop but maybe it was because of something else, that kind of thing happens a lot and think that bad info gets started like that. Not that I know temp drop for babies at night isn't bad, I'm just not convinced that it is, doesn't make sense to me atm. I've raised several dozen from babies and never lost one from temp drop. But I'm only talking about a drop to the mid to upper 60's. And in the winter at my house, sometimes that room never gets out of the upper 60's, none died. I'm not seeing how it would make a diff with babies since they are cold blooded and the babies are in the same area as the adults in their native habitat, but I sure could be missing something.

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
2nd all that. I don't see that kind of temp drop making the difference between life and death considering what they experience in their natural habitat. Especially when they are subadult to adult.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can't verify this, but found it and thought I'd share. Oh, and yes, many species of scorpions experience cool to cold nights, and cold seasonal times.
There are a few exceptions, but not many.

http://www.scorpions.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=74&Itemid=19

All species of Parabuthus are adapted for burrowing. Although most species of Parabuthus construct burrows in the open ground, Other species such as P. muelleri, P. planicauda, P. transvaalicus and P. villosus construct burrows under stones or rocks. Parabuthus use the ridges on the fifth tail segment to loosen substrate, before dragging away the substrate using the first two pairs of leg. Their burrows are very different in that of Opistophthalmus sp. As Parabuthus sp. burrow, they just shovel the substrate behind them. Their burrows look like they have been filed in. Opistophthalmus sp. carry the substrate out of the burrow. Gravid females often excavate deep burrows in which to give birth.

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, great info!

This makes perfect sense, because that is exactly how my Opisto burrows, by carrying the substrate out of the tunnel with its legs, where my P. trans shovel's it out with his tail.

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love that! I never thought of splitting a tank in two with plexiglass.

What sized tank is it? I am now considering buying new species and doing this