shud i put crickets in a slings container while the burrow is sealed

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have a sling in a closed burrow. iv asked about him befor. but should i put crickets outside the burrow so if he gets hungry he gets them? i put some in and they instantly started trying to get into the burrow. they will be successful if they want. if the crickets got to his burrow wud it be a disaster :?

Durandal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The risk of it being a disaster greatly outweighs the urgency of actually putting a cricket in there. If his burrow is sealed you can rest assured that he is not about to die of starvation. In short, don't bother putting food in when the burrow is sealed.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
If you are really concerned about offering food, you can put a pre killed cricket in and remove it later if not eaten. However, if he's sealed up he likely isn't hungry.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ditto. Your sling may be getting ready to molt too if its burrow is sealed, or it could mean that its simply not hungry at the moment. Once it opens up, then try tossing in a food item. Hope that helps!

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a 1/2" G pulchra that has been sealed in its burow since Feb 27. I just keep the humidity up and watch. I must admit, I am very nervous, but it knows what it is doing. I just sit ans wait; crickets always at the ready.

SDiego

Arachnosquire
I have a 1/2" G pulchra that has been sealed in its burow since Feb 27. I just keep the humidity up and watch. I must admit, I am very nervous, but it knows what it is doing. I just sit ans wait; crickets always at the ready.
That seems like a long time.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That seems like a long time.
My 5" H. lividium just came out after two months in her sealed tomb fresh from a molt so it's not unheard of for spiders to retreat for a long time but it's typically older spiders that take longer for both setup time in pre-molt as well the times they molt.

Slings, to fight for survival and growth, do it more often and in most cases quicker.