Native USA (Giant) Centipede PICTURE Thread

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi all,

while responding to another centipede post i had a good idea (very possibly even though of already on here)...

Let us make a thread full of pictures of native USA centipedes! i would love to eventually see all ~70 or so species in here! Over time i will try to populate this thread with my own pics, but mainly i want to see what everyone else has out there!

Yes, i like heros and big tigers as much as the next pede lover... but i am also interested in the little giants! I would love to see pictures of Cryptops, Theatops, and all the other little weirdos we have :D

For reference i have seen and collected Theaptops, Scolopocryptops and Scolopendra in CA, to my certain knowledge. There is a small (heh) chance i have seen and possibly even collected Cryptops, but in no way have i really even ever thought that. I need to get into the swing of taking diagnostic pictures of all the little centipedes i collect to make sure one way or the other!

On other note: I do want this to be a thread mostly about Scolopendromorpha... but if you have pics of neat looking species from other orders, by all means, post them! I know i am :) I just don't want to bog the thread down with a high noise to signal ratio of "normal" looking stone centipede pictures =P

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My first actual picture post will showcase centipedes from the Wastelands, CA. it is not actually named the wastelands, of course. it is a couple square miles we know about, located in Rialto, CA, USA.

The wastelands is a haven for Scolopendra polymorpha. We have collected something like 140+ in 3 years and then kind of put a hold on serious collecting for 2-3 years. Upon recently starting to collect there again i am happen to report that we are finding tigers in just about the same numbers as before we started collecting there at all :D

The Wastelands typically produces what we call the "toxic yellow" tiger centipede. There are much more striking examples out there, but this is an ok representation:

zoom http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/cacoseraph/centipede/local/WL_Feb07_4_02b.jpg
Note the characteristic somewhat yellow coloration. In other specimens the color is much more pronounced. In a prime toxic yellow tiger the legs will also carry a more yellowish coloration. Most of the toxic yellows are more muted and less impressive, however. I will try to get a pic of a real honey for this thread, eventually.

Sometimes the wastelands will give up something a little different. This is a nice bluelegger we caught years ago. (note: this coloration is almost standard in some areas... but in the wastelands it is quite rare)

zoom http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/cacoseraph/centipede/local/WL_Feb07_3_01b.jpg

But the rarest jewels in the wastelands crown are the stripless variants! So far we have caught two. My buddy caught a large ~4.5"BL and i have a smaller ~2.5-3"BL. My little fellow is called Nuprin, for it is "little, yellow, different"... but my buddy's has a red shading from the tail end fading a bit more than halfway up, iirc.
Nuprin:

zoom http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/cacoseraph/centipede/freak/nuprin_2007-05-27_03b.jpg

I did find a single example of something in a wastelands tiger... but it is probably the result of an injury and not a genetic or congenital condition as in all the previous examples.

I found... a THREE FOOT CENTIPEDE!!!!

From far away this specimen's trick might not be apparent...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/cacoseraph/centipede/freak/threefootcentipede001b.jpg

but once you start taking a closer look, something very odd indeed reveals itself:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/cacoseraph/centipede/freak/threefootcentipede002b.jpg

and with good magnification it looks positively alien!

different zoom --> http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/cacoseraph/centipede/freak/threefootcentipede020b.jpg

(note: most of the triplefoot pics were taking using a normal point and shoot digicam and a double or triple lens magnifier :D )

SixShot666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
WOW....:eek:
Never seen that kind of mutation before on a centipede.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Stunning! I hope to one day have the priviledge of seeing a giant centipede in the wild in the good 'ol USA. Keep those pics a'comin!

SixShot666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You can't find anything in NYC because it's a steel and concrete jungle here.
I never got a chance to catch anything (Scorpions or Pedes) in the wild. Hopefully when this semester is over I'm going to head down to California or New Orleans and go on a scorpion hunt. :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
in real life it is like... 2mm long. the whole leg was only something like 5-7mm long iirc

i did have dead scorps and centipedes and stuff hanging in my front windows for a while at one apartment =P

i was trying to give the natives the impression i was something horrible so they would, you know, quit breaking into my joint

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@Cacoseraph

So where at exactly is the "wastelands"?is it your secret spot,or would you mind sharing it?I really want some s.polymorpha.I only plan to collect a couple.please pm or email if you still have my email address,please.thanks!

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Caco,

"wastelands" is the north part of the airport ya? I went hunting in my local field half a mile away and caught a polymorpha but one of its antenna's was decapitated, hopefully it will grow back soon.

KingOfRats

Arachnopeon

Scolopendra alternans? It was sold to me as the "Key West Centipede" Isn't very red though... Are they communal?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the wastelands is too crazy to send ppl to. there are too many wild dogs and homeless ppl. for everyone's safety and wellbeing it is better to stay away

that looks like it might be a keys alternans. haiti/DR alternans are possibly the worst centipede to get bit by, just so you know

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I had these posted before, but for threads sake Ill link them again. One of my all time favorite pedes I had the pleasure of caring for. S. arizoensis cf ;
Eating her favorite meal, some chicken breast

A good size reference, one molt prior to me selling her.

A truly awesome species of pede, though this particular specimen developed a tendency to munch on my fingers!