Leurolestes Circunvagans is a wrong name.

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, this thread's purpose is to correct something i have been saying here, and some people i'm sure are reading around. Is mainly for people searching for information about these roaches, and when you search i hope people get to this thread.

The thing is, the country i live we got a certain species of roaches as the most popular feeder here: Something identified as Leurolestes Circunvagans. I never found ANY information for those roaches nor have seen any pictures. Well, i just bumped into something:

Does anyone recognize these guys? These are identified as L. Circunvagans here. Thats right, the two of them. Sold astwo different color morphs. I believe these are Phoetalia pallida (left) and Nauphoeta cinerea (right).

Why am i creating this thread? I trusted the vendor of these roaches that these wouldn't munch a molting spider. You can make the math to discover what happened. The hobby is way too small here to get any good information. Maybe if i had this misconception fixed earlier, nothing would have happened.

Thanks for the time guys. If this isn't the right place to make this, moderators, you have the supreme power to transfer it. I'm placing it here cause most people will look for this because of tarantulas.

lgarruda

Arachnopeon
Radamanthys

You`re quite right. I `ve started into the roach world recently, and started to catch information about available species here in Brazil and the Leurolestes circunvagans error is recurrent.

The place from where I bought my N. cinerea colony used to sell this species as L. circunvagans, but they now have corrected their mistake.

Despite there is a Phoetalia circunvagans species descripted (Burmeister, 1838), probably roaches we can find here are really P. pallida or maybe Pycnoscelus surinamensis (as some pictures from brazilian sellers suggests). P. surinamensis is known as a houseplants pest.

I bought some as L. circunvagans from MercadoLivre and they are really P. pallida. However, these roaches are far from the ideal feeders, because they are heavily climbers, nymphs are pretty small and can pass throught tiny holes and are potential pests, easily surviving and reproducing fast if they escape, and also their smell is strong enough for me.

A similar error occurs here between Blaberus craniifer and B. discoidales. I bought some roaches as B. craniifer and they were in fact discoidales, but I believe this mistake is also common in U.S. market.