Growth Rates

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Does anyone else have growth rate data on G. pulchra?
I keep getting told they grow sooooo slooowwwly. But, I keep finding references to them reaching near full size in about 3 years.

I currently have 7 G. pulchra. Four of them are at about 2.5" now and have molted twice in my care since Dec 2009(about 1" when I got them); at that time I was told they were 1 year old already.
I also have three others that I received recently and they molted just this past couple weeks. They are now about 1"+. The breeders I got them from do not track hatching, and growth data, so, they could not accurately tell me the age of them when they shipped them out.
Right now I am thinking it takes 6 months to 1 year for them to reach the 1" mark. Any thoughts out there?

Data and observations on this species are scarce.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My experience thus far.

Scoolman, In my limited experience with nw tropic tarantulas, they seem to grow the slowest out of B. boehmei, A. geniculata, and N tripepii. However, they don't seem as slow as I've often seen mentioned. The pics on my thread were taken a few weeks after first getting them at .75" around Nov. 06. The largest one is a tad over 3.5 extended dls (relaxed, not manipulated of course) and smallest a little over 3". I've slowed/lowered on feeding and temps slightly. Well, I'll quit blabbing and send some photo updates soon. 5 very small pulchra are a recent "project" but my last for now except future wtb juvy f's of L. klugi or B emelia.

Well, summa my experience so far.......

Terry

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think there are some pulchra that just don't grow. I've had two slings, about .75" and 1", since early January and they still have yet to molt. They're extremely dark and have been for 2 months but they refuse to pop. Its about 80F, they have huge butts, and still I wait :wall:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll be a son of a...

I went out to wish my Ts goodnight and found Velvet, my smaller pulchra, on its back! How's that for coincidence :D

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I purchased my g.pulchra in may of 2006 at 1.5 inches. May of 2010 (now) she is 4 inches. They can get 7inches fully grown and only grow slower the older they get, take that for whats its worth. I will tell you this though, g.pulchra's are one of the most enjoyable T's to own and handle. They have great personalities, are always out in the open, easy to care for, and never and i mean never turn down food hehe. Some people like colorful T's which this species is not however its solid velvety black is like no other in the hobby. Hey, can you tell I love this species haha.:D

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I was quite shocked to get A molt in late January and another late Late Februaruy from my first four. Though, here we are early April and they show no signs at all of molting again any time soon.
My second three all molted one month after arriving.
I am just hoping someon out there has kept decent records on their specimen. This would give us a good reference point to start from.
I keep getting "they groooow soooo sloooowww" but I keep finding in my research their growth is about half of what I keep getting told.

I purchased my g.pulchra in may of 2006 at 1.5 inches. May of 2010 (now) she is 4 inches. They can get 7inches fully grown and only grow slower the older they get, take that for whats its worth. I will tell you this though, g.pulchra's are one of the most enjoyable T's to own and handle. They have great personalities, are always out in the open, easy to care for, and never and i mean never turn down food hehe. Some people like colorful T's which this species is not however its solid velvety black is like no other in the hobby. Hey, can you tell I love this species haha.:D
This is exactly what I have noticed. Mine went from about 1" to 2.5"+ in 3months time.

I agree implicitly. I like them so much I have 7 now and only began the hobby in December.

Last edited:

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We got our G. pulchra as a .5" sling in April of '09. He (confirmed male) is now about 2.5" and in premolt. He's been in premolt for about 2ish months now. He grew fast for a while but then slowed right down.

Cass

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They can get larger than 7"

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My little pulchra molted overnight, seemingly successfully! It did not seem to grow very much, maybe reaching the inch mark. Sheesh, with these things you're in for the long haul. Despite that, it's worth it as they're one of the most beautiful Ts out there :)

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've found that when the grammostola get to about 3 inches they take FOREVER between moults so i'd agree they slow down massively as they get larger

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've heard that if you peek at them too much while they're in premolt they actually get smaller.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard that if you peek at them too much while they're in premolt they actually get smaller.
If this is true, mine'll never gain any size. Its impossible for me to walk by my Ts without looking...and they're between my bedroom and kitchen :rolleyes:

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My little pulchra molted overnight, seemingly successfully! It did not seem to grow very much, maybe reaching the inch mark. Sheesh, with these things you're in for the long haul. Despite that, it's worth it as they're one of the most beautiful Ts out there :)
I have noticed with mine that they gain significant size about 1-2 weeks after the molt. It seems they really stretch during the first week.

My first four are at the 2.5" mark now. So lets see how they take to molt this time.

As for Ts shrinking during premolt, I would hope you were being sarcastic, or facetious. I really doubt that would happen. If you were serious, I would like to see the research on it so I can add it to my blog.