Rose hair, help now!!

Cheesy

Arachnopeon
my rose hair just enclosed itself in its little duggout, is that normal? is it gonna molt now?

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is probably going to molt.It is completely normal for them to do that, nothing to worry about. :)

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
Yep, completely normal. Also, it doesn't necessarily mean the molt will happen *immediately* now that it has barricaded itself away.

Just leave it be and let it do its thing. It sounds like it is acting the way a healthy G. rosea should. :)

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yup I 2nd the weeks and weeks you may want a deck of cards ;) or a new video game ;) or a girlfriend/boyfriend they are good for a 2 week distraction ;P

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yup I 2nd the weeks and weeks you may want a deck of cards ;) or a new video game ;) or a girlfriend/boyfriend they are good for a 2 week distraction ;P
Not when both people are waiting for the molt, haha.

Our male P. pederseni has barricaded itself away. It's taking forever which may mean this is his ultimate molt. We'll see....

Cass

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Molt away! But really, the baricade dosen't necessarily mean a molt. My gigas repeatedly "holes up" for a couple weeks, knocks it down, then repeats. It would be nice if that were a sure sign of a molt.:p

Cheesy

Arachnopeon
So since it closed itself up in there, can i knock it down and see if it's on its back or not?

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So since it closed itself up in there, can i knock it down and see if it's on its back or not?
No. Tarantulas are at their most vulnerable state when they're molting, so if you knocked down it's little molting barricade, you could cause a lot of problems, and may even kill your T.

Just leave it be, and when the T is ready to come out, it will. And it'll all be worth it when you see how much bigger and prettier it is.

Cass

kgrigoryev

Arachnopeon
I don't understand the weeks and weeks part. The pre-molt takes a long time yeah.. but the actual molting should happen overnight.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's being a spider, leave it alone. Like others have said, it could be getting ready to molt, it could just be hanging in its hideout.
If it's a captive bred rosea, it could be digging in for the winter, which may include a molt or two, depending on its size, until it comes back out in the spring. My CB G. pulchra does this. My roseas are WC and still on South American seasons, so they hid out this past summer...

I recently rehoused a ~1year old B. verdezi who hasn't burrowed the entire time I've had her (10 months). She molted on 11/19, rehoused on 12/10, burrowed on 12/12. She's definitely not in pre-molt. I may see her before spring, or I may not. Patience is a virtue in T keeping, even though it's sometimes hard. :)

Tarantulas are at their most vulnerable state when they're molting, so if you knocked down it's little molting barricade, you could cause a lot of problems, and may even kill your T.

Just leave it be, and when the T is ready to come out, it will. And it'll all be worth it when you see how much bigger and prettier it is.
+1

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:eek:Wait....you have a rosie that USES it's hide????:o_O: i have never seen mine use its hide... i took it in back in the beginning of the summer , and it hasn't eaten since like October. its about 4" now, still plump.. but refuses food and wont molt. he/she doesn't even look like it needs one either.. they take forever i've read. The rosie is my only t ive ever held so far, aside from my 2 G. pulchripes slings (-1") and my pzb sling (1/4" these take FOREVER to grow..) but i dont think they count yet lol .

Last edited: