My 2 Hyllus cf. giganteum arrived yesterday :D
Got a big adult pair and an only slightly less big pre sub adult pair
First the adults :)

Female

Male

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And now the second, it takes me a while to post all the images so im not ignoring anyone who posts in between me posting this second half :p
Now for the pre sub adult pair :)

Female

Male

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
whew! those are great! awesome size and markings :)

they look kinda like Portia sp. a bit. are they spider eaters, too?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gorgeous photos! Mind if I ask what your macro setup is? You have wonderful background bokeh.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WOW, those are some awesome pics of some awesome spiders! Looks like those jumpers are good sized....ddn't know they got that big.

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gaah! Those spiders are absolutely awesome looking. They look even hairier than my P. regius spiders. I can't wait to get my hands on some of these guys. Awesome photos, you take great shots that really bring out the best in a spider. :D

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No hand...must...not...add...to.....WISHLIST! :drool:

The male looks very close to a Paraphidippus, except w/o the orange.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
for you USA'ers... there is a Phid. octopunctatus from San Diego that gets around that size. no where near the awesome coloration... but it is a very not bad spider, indeed!

and, um, possible to get with not too much effort :)

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We have patches of Phidippus octopunctatus here in Washington State too. Both they and Hyllus are on my large salticid list. I will have them! Bah! These photos make me so excited at the thought of it. They are so cool.

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
+1! Are all Salticids 6-eyed?

They have 8 eyes, the one between the anterior lateral eyes and the posterior lateral eyes. ( I think they are posterior lateral eyes?? I can't find a diagram!) Uhh..I think those tiny eyes are...posterior medial eyes?

If someone knows where a diagram is, show me. :?

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Who knows if all goes to plan and i end up with loads of offspring then i may be willing to trade for some nice Phiddipus sp. :D
Thanks all for the real nice comments :D
My set up is just natural backgrounds and scenes, the background is the grass from my back garden and for lighting i just use that great big thing in the sky :p
And my camera isnt a big DSLR but i just switch between using my Olympus IR-500 (Around 4MP and great vivid true to life colour) and my Samsung NV3 (Around 8MP but drab colour).
Oh and im not sure if they are spider eaters but rather just eat what they catch types, i fed them last night, well put a couple of small crickets in, hopefully they should be gone when i get back home today :)

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess I'll post a vid of mine here :)

This is the adult female, 20mm body length.

[YOUTUBE]dJiF0cSFj44[/YOUTUBE]

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, got a problem... Tried to mate the female in the video with one of my two males, and he became a snack rather quickly...

How do you guys suggest I go about introducing the other male, to prevent the lady to kill that one too?

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I'm sure you fed her up till she was fat, right?

What I do, is get the spiders out on something flat in an open area. With a paintbrush and a cup on hand ( or just my hand, but I like to be able to put something clear and solid over the male thats harder for him to escape out of) I hover over them with the brush...just a few inches above and watch the female...and stay as still as possible.

I haven't mated any Hyllus jumpers though, only Phidippus...and I've never let them mate inside an enclosure, only on something I could reach quickly. I'm a paranoid breeder, hahaha.

When the female looks a little too interested in the male and is moving forward, rather than backward, I split them up instantly by putting the brush infront of the female and scaring her off. I try again later. I suppose if the female just isn't impressed with the male, she could refuse him every time...or in your case...eat him. :(

Good luck with your other male!! Mating is a scary business...

Ken

Arachnopeon
Where can I get hold of these spiders ?

Hello.

I am really interested in the jumping spider, but I cant seem to find anywhere that is selling them. Im from the Manchester area. Would you be able to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Ken Davies.