should i buy t.blondi considering the problems they have...

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive kept spiders for years now at one time i had 9 i had a king baboon, a green bottle, a cobolt blue a OBT, so i consider myself experienced enough to handle an agressive spider like a t.blondi, i have a great tank for one its huge its an exoterrer.

the pet shop across the road from me has two t.blondies and they both look huge id say both are 6inches plus.

all the spiders ive bought have been adults because im not that into slings and juviniles.

anyway im worried about the roblems t.blondis can have like molting problems, just dying, because of high humidity fungus, i remember my cobolt blue woud always leave locust debre just outside her tunnle and never clean up so i had to and i heard that many tropical tarantulas can all be messy and if not cleaned properly can die, if my tarantla has rotting food deep in her burrow how am i serposed to know.

ive wanted a golieth for as long as i can remember so i guess im just asking your opinions, if not the blondi the shop does have a nice suntiger avalable a female adult. :) but i cant have both.

p.s sorry about my spelling.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I say just do it.
I know I would, and if you face problems, well we learn from our mistakes.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah but spending £90 is alot of money for me for it just to die before the year is up, i mean im sure it would be fine but so many blondi's seem to just epic fail....

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just keep a keen eye out for trouble, and I'd say you'd be just fine. I'd do it, if I had the room for one.. I love them, they're amazing. Read up properly, and just do your job. Blondis need an alert keeper..

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It almost sounds like youre looking for someone to tell you no. If youre uneasy about them or worried they will die, perhaps you should make it a personal challenge to research all you can and give them a good home and ensure they dont epic fail in your care :) I just got one this week and they are soo cool. I had these same reservations about blondi's but actually having one finally is EPIC win. That price isnt bad considering online you must pay shipping. Keep the humidity up around 85-90%, give it a big water dish and for god's sake get a secure lid :eek:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Go ahead and do it if that's what you want, just make sure you're read up on the ins and outs of this particular species. On that note, if the exo-terra you mention is the big glass front door opening variety I'd say it isn't appropriate for this species. You'd be better off with a large, deep plastic tub or a 5 gallon aquarium tank.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks everyone i looked at both the specimens at the reptile shop and they were wild caught and very big but the man coudnt say if they were female or male and since they were wild caught i thought best not as they might already have mites or somthing else and if they are male they would be mature and so would die soon.

in the end i went to the other reptile shop and they had an adult indian ornamental its huge at least 6 inches they said its female but they coudnt confirm so can anyone tell me how i can tell because it says these species dont have hooks.

its legs are very long and slender like a male but its rump and carpace are round and fat... anyone take a guess?

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
does it have a thick white band on its abdomen? Are the whites on it very white, are the blacks very black? Male p.regs have really dull whites and greys and blacks.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They need a big enclosure and a long deep pre dug burrow witch creates a micro climate.
Just a coconut shell wont do any good for a Theraphosa blondi.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
post up a ventral photo of your P regalis and provided it's clear enough, i'm sure a few will be able to give you a good idea of the sex

in the end i went to the other reptile shop and they had an adult indian ornamental its huge at least 6 inches they said its female but they coudnt confirm so can anyone tell me how i can tell because it says these species dont have hooks.

its legs are very long and slender like a male but its rump and carpace are round and fat... anyone take a guess?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A 6" P regalis doesn't really even need a ventral shot for sexing. By that age it should be pretty obvious. Put simply, a female's abdomen will have crisp, clear markings with clean whites, dark blacks, etc. A male will be fuzzier with muddy, much less distinct markings. You'll see more brown and grey (like projecht13 said) and no real whiteness.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thankyou all
its a defenate female then because all the colors look like she has only just molted, the blacks are the blackest ive ever seen and the yellow is amazing and she is huge!

her legs are really long and she is nice and plump and when i transfered her to her home tank she didnt seem agressive atall so all in all im happy :)

i just dont know how old she is i hope she has a good few years left like 10 :p or even 15...

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, she'll get bigger. 6" isn't even really full grown. She's probably barely 2 but that's just a guess, one can't really know age with T's unless you know when they hatched.

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
Paul Becker gave me some great info pertaining to their care. Im doing well with mine but boy is she defensive & an eater! Kim

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Give it an enclosure with proper ventilation to provide an out for all of the humidity to cycle through (and obviously replenish as necessary)... AND AIR FLOW. This is something people take for granted. I have a big stand up tower fan that rotates and blows toward all of my enclosures which are all well ventilated.

I use "forest moss" and "spaghnum or spanish" moss, in additional to wood collected in the wild (that was baked before hand) all of the time, as well.

Never once had a mold problem.

I can't speak from personal experience with the T blondi, but I am confident that when I do get one, these things won't be a problem for me.