Fly Problem

MechaChiro

Arachnopeon
In the past week i have noticed small gnats/flies in the spider closet.
They are in my T enclosures and flying around the closet as well.
Will flies lay eggs in coconut fiber bedding or maybe moss?
Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what can i do about it?

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They're probably phorid flies. Good sanitary practices will usually clear them out.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depending on whether they are fungus gnats or phorid flies, your next steps will vary. You may want to consider drying out the substrate if it is phorid flies, and in either case remove all boluses (boli?) from the enclosures.

Here's an interesting thread including a recipe for getting rid of fungus gnats. :)

Once you've determined what it is, just run a search for either phorid flies or gnats on this website. There should be plenty of helpful information.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Adding woodlice helps maintain a clean enclosure eating the things the phorids would eat. Also I find using small house spiders in the T cages often help snag em up now and then too.

MechaChiro

Arachnopeon
Much Appreciated

I've figured out I have Fungus Gnats thanks to everyone's help.
I will use the Apple Cider/Washing fluid to wipe them out.

Slappys_g1rl06

Arachnopeon
Also...

I don't know if this makes much of a difference or not but when I use the vinegar/dish soap mix... I put it in a tall cup then take a piece of paper and make a funnel to place into the glass. Leave it so the small end of the funnel is just above the liquid. That way, when they crawl down into the cup through the funnel, they're guaranteed to get trapped and die.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a very good and cheap design :D works like a charm

I don't know if this makes much of a difference or not but when I use the vinegar/dish soap mix... I put it in a tall cup then take a piece of paper and make a funnel to place into the glass. Leave it so the small end of the funnel is just above the liquid. That way, when they crawl down into the cup through the funnel, they're guaranteed to get trapped and die.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I started to get a few as the weather warms up. I'll try your method. How often do you have to change out the solution?

Fierce Deїty

Arachnopeon
I had flies like this that started on one dead dubia, and now they have gotten in my colony laid eggs on all the dead ones. I need to cut my dubia colony in half because they are becoming overcrowded. I saw lots of little white maggots and pupae on the top edge of my dubia bin.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had flies like this that started on one dead dubia, and now they have gotten in my colony laid eggs on all the dead ones. I need to cut my dubia colony in half because they are becoming overcrowded. I saw lots of little white maggots and pupae on the top edge of my dubia bin.
That sound like phorid flies, not the fungus gnats the OP posted about. Arguably much worse. Wipe up all those maggots off the walls before they pupate and emerge as adult flies, pick ALL the deads out of your dubia bin and increase ventilation if you can.

Also see methods for building traps posted in this current thread: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=186361

If these things spread out of your roach enclosures they can lay eggs anywhere funky. Under the rim of the toilet bowl, in the drain of your sinks, any rotten food or slimy, dank place they can find will be a nice spot for another generation so you need to get on top of the infestation before it becomes a REAL infestation. Then it really sucks. Believe me, I know this. ;)

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Last edited:

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used a variation of the sticky trap when I had fungus gnats in my herp cages. I used cut down plastic cups, snuff cans, etc. I cut sticky trap pieces to fit inside. Really a pain to do! I then cut and bent some 1/8 wire mesh and popped it into the cup. I made to friction fit, but they could be glued. The flies could get in, but the herps could not. I put them in all problem cages, and any house plants that were infested. No bait was needed. Just changed sticky when it was covered with the flies.

I don't know how it would work in a T cage. They may get curious and chew through it. Butt it solved my problem on several occaisions.

Fierce Deїty

Arachnopeon
That sound like phorid flies, not the fungus gnats the OP posted about. Arguably much worse. Wipe up all those maggots off the walls before they pupate and emerge as adult flies, pick ALL the deads out of your dubia bin and increase ventilation if you can.

Also see methods for building traps posted in this current thread: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=186361

If these things spread out of your roach enclosures they can lay eggs anywhere funky. Under the rim of the toilet bowl, in the drain of your sinks, any rotten food or slimy, dank place they can find will be a nice spot for another generation so you need to get on top of the infestation before it becomes a REAL infestation. Then it really sucks. Believe me, I know this. ;)
Thanks, Moltar. Have you had a real infestation??? I'd like to hear about this.

Oh my gosh, there is a perfect environment for them... We cooked a whole chicken last night in the oven, and we haven't had time to throw the greasy carcass away today because of school. Oh my gosh... And our sink is full of funky dishes. Ahhh!! They could be everywhere in months. I need to mount an assault! :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's my problem, not with dubia, but with B. lats..

I use the water crystals to water them (cheap online) and they do real well but near all my lats carry off the water crystals and food to a lesser extent to their crate homes for some obvious sheltered dining.

After some time and humid days those re-swell in the crates and on the lower portions of the bin outside of the water bowl causing issues.

I've tried smaller "kernels" as well even ground food up to a dust (chicken feed recipe) and still I get the occasional mildew/mold issue because of them carrying off the water.

I've found no way to actually keep them at the bowl instead of dragging crap in and under the crate.

Anyone have this as well or possible solution to try?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks, Moltar. Have you had a real infestation??? I'd like to hear about this.

...We cooked a whole chicken last night in the oven, and we haven't had time to throw the greasy carcass away today because of school. ...And our sink is full of funky dishes...
Yes I have. Once they get out of the T room and start getting into drains, dirty sinks, etc it becomes a LOT harder to get rid of them because now they're breeding in multiple locations. Pouring straight bleach down the drain does a nice job of killing the eggs but it probably isn't the best thing for the water table. I bet they loved your greasy chicken carcass!

Here's my problem, not with dubia, but with B. lats...

I've found no way to actually keep them at the bowl instead of dragging crap in and under the crate.

Anyone have this as well or possible solution to try?
What if you try larger crystals? It seems at some point they'd be too big to drag off. You could also switch to fruit/veggies exclusively to provide hydration. Apples and oranges work great for this. (You have to peel the oranges though)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have never peeled the oranges and never had problems.