Need help choosing. (again)

winwin

Arachnoknight
Guys, what's a good T to have? I know these guys are kinda defensive but I like the way they look. Which one would look best and explain a bit on them please? Also, which one is more likely to be seen?
1. P. Irminia
2. P. Cambridgei
3. P. Murnius
4. E. Murinus
5. H. Lividum
6. C. Crawshayi

Thanks a lot guys! :D

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well what other species have you already owned? OWs such as the C. crawshayi, H. lividum, and P. murinus are a little more advanced then some of the other species. It also depends on what you prefer, do you like arboreals? or terrestrials?

You said you wanted it to be visible so that pretty much rules out E. murinus and H. lividum who are both fossorial and you might not see them a lot, same for C. crawshayi. Most people say P. murinus isn't very visable either though my girl is an exception to the rule i guess because i see her fairly often.

So P. irminia or P. cambridgei would be your best bet. Get both if you can, but I would whole heartedly suggest P. cambridgei. Out of all my Ts my sub-adult female is my favorite in my collection, and I also prefer the subtle beauty over the stark contrast of P. irminia. Both of these species are also a good intermediate species with some of the attitude of an OW but don't quite pack the same whallop.

winwin

Arachnoknight
Well what other species have you already owned? OWs such as the C. crawshayi, H. lividum, and P. murinus are a little more advanced then some of the other species. It also depends on what you prefer, do you like arboreals? or terrestrials?

You said you wanted it to be visible so that pretty much rules out E. murinus and H. lividum who are both fossorial and you might not see them a lot, same for C. crawshayi. Most people say P. murinus isn't very visable either though my girl is an exception to the rule i guess because i see her fairly often.

So P. irminia or P. cambridgei would be your best bet. Get both if you can, but I would whole heartedly suggest P. cambridgei. Out of all my Ts my sub-adult female is my favorite in my collection, and I also prefer the subtle beauty over the stark contrast of P. irminia. Both of these species are also a good intermediate species with some of the attitude of an OW but don't quite pack the same whallop.
it all depends on how much experiance you have?
I have a B. smithi Juvie, an orph sp., a.genic sling, heteremetrus sp scorpion(adult and sling) and a Liocheles Australasiae. But experience aside, which would be a good choice for my next T? If you could only choose 1.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Which One?

Either Cambridgei or Irminia. Both are NW, lightning-fast arboreals.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'd go this the p.murinus.they are a really cool T.they web like crazy,and sometimes will web against the side so you can see them.they are very aggressive though,and have a pretty mean bite.they are also pretty fast,but i am 14,and i can deal with them,so i am sure you can.just gotta be very careful when doing maintanance and feeding.i NEVER put my hand in the cage.i use tongs instead.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My opinions are based solely on personal experience with these species.

P. irminia - We don't see ours very often, she comes out at night and prowls around, but the most we'll see during the day are the tips of her toes. Our sling is pretty much knocking on death's door so it doesn't count in my opinion.

P. cambridgei - Our lady is out all of the time, out of all the Ts on this list, she's out the most. We've only had to rehouse her once, and she was calm about the whole thing, so I'm assuming she's fast, but who knows.

P. murinus - We never saw our male when we had him. One time we were feeding him and spooked him and he ran up and out of his enclosure faster than I could blink and he just stayed there for 30 seconds, turned around and walked right back in. He was pretty awesome. We have a sling that we never see either. They're cool because of how adaptable they are. You can house them arboreally or terrestrially and they will make a cool webbed up area no matter what.

E. murinus - Our girl (~2.5") is one of my favourites. We don't really see her that much, she's built a pretty extensive burrow, but we always see her during feeding time because we just hold the prey item right by her burrow hole and she comes shooting out. Then she'll stay at the opening for a while. It's convenient for snapping pictures.

H. lividum - I think we have a MF. We may actually just have a container that's all webbed up and full of dirt, but I think there may actually be a tarantula in there. I can't say with all certainty though, haha. She used to actually come out quite often, but she molted a while ago and has been crazy reclusive.

C. crawshayi - Same thing with our H. lividum. Before she molted she actually made one of her tunnels right against the side of her enclosure, and that way we could actually see her. She molted though, too, and then renovated, so I haven't seen her in a while. All I know is that the food disappears.

If it's something you want to see often, then I'd suggest going with the P. cambridgei. They're underrated in the looks department since they have to compete with P. irminia, but they're so gorgeous in person. Pictures don't do them justice and they're active and eat like crazy.

Good luck with whatever you pick!

Cass

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Of your list, I have experience with P. murinus and P. cambridgei. I don't know how normal my two are but they have to be some of the most active, visible, and entertaining spiders I could ever want.

My 4" female cambridgei out pretty much all the time. She's in premolt now so she's holding tight in her burrow but when she isn't, she's out waiting for food. And she never stops moving, always up to something. If a cricket makes a move anywhere in her home, she wants to know about it and correct the situation. Oh, and she's fast. Really really fast, when she wants to be. Faster than my regalis by a good step.

Same with my 2" OBT, I think male. Always out, always hungry. Very skittish though, flees into its burrow at the slightest disturbance but doesn't stay hidden long. Very fun spider.

Both are beautiful. P. irminia is also on my list of must haves and I'm afraid E. murinus is getting on it too. They're so cool looking. Both are supposed to be pretty shy though.

Lividum and crawshayii, the way I understand them, are to be appreciated in your last memory of them. Nice Ts but not going to be clamoring for them

winwin

Arachnoknight
i'd go this the p.murinus.they are a really cool T.they web like crazy,and sometimes will web against the side so you can see them.they are very aggressive though,and have a pretty mean bite.they are also pretty fast,but i am 14,and i can deal with them,so i am sure you can.just gotta be very careful when doing maintanance and feeding.i NEVER put my hand in the cage.i use tongs instead.
I think I read your thread a while back inquiring if you should get an OBT. Is yours active and out a lot?

winwin

Arachnoknight
My opinions are based solely on personal experience with these species.

P. irminia - We don't see ours very often, she comes out at night and prowls around, but the most we'll see during the day are the tips of her toes. Our sling is pretty much knocking on death's door so it doesn't count in my opinion.

P. cambridgei - Our lady is out all of the time, out of all the Ts on this list, she's out the most. We've only had to rehouse her once, and she was calm about the whole thing, so I'm assuming she's fast, but who knows.

P. murinus - We never saw our male when we had him. One time we were feeding him and spooked him and he ran up and out of his enclosure faster than I could blink and he just stayed there for 30 seconds, turned around and walked right back in. He was pretty awesome. We have a sling that we never see either. They're cool because of how adaptable they are. You can house them arboreally or terrestrially and they will make a cool webbed up area no matter what.

E. murinus - Our girl (~2.5") is one of my favourites. We don't really see her that much, she's built a pretty extensive burrow, but we always see her during feeding time because we just hold the prey item right by her burrow hole and she comes shooting out. Then she'll stay at the opening for a while. It's convenient for snapping pictures.

H. lividum - I think we have a MF. We may actually just have a container that's all webbed up and full of dirt, but I think there may actually be a tarantula in there. I can't say with all certainty though, haha. She used to actually come out quite often, but she molted a while ago and has been crazy reclusive.

C. crawshayi - Same thing with our H. lividum. Before she molted she actually made one of her tunnels right against the side of her enclosure, and that way we could actually see her. She molted though, too, and then renovated, so I haven't seen her in a while. All I know is that the food disappears.

If it's something you want to see often, then I'd suggest going with the P. cambridgei. They're underrated in the looks department since they have to compete with P. irminia, but they're so gorgeous in person. Pictures don't do them justice and they're active and eat like crazy.

Good luck with whatever you pick!

Cass
Thanks! That's very informative. I guess it really does vary in every individual T how they are. But I think among the list, the P. Murinus would be the easiest to house right? Since if you give it only little substrate it will web, a lot and it will burrow, if you make an arboreal setup it can also adapt.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you explain why these two are your choices and NW so they also kick hairs right?
Psalmopoeus are actually one of the NW genera that don't possess urticating hairs.

Thanks! That's very informative. I guess it really does vary in every individual T how they are. But I think among the list, the P. Murinus would be the easiest to house right? Since if you give it only little substrate it will web, a lot and it will burrow, if you make an arboreal setup it can also adapt.
The P. murinus would be the easiest to house, but not the easiest to rehouse. They rely heavily on their webbing, so during a rehousing it's difficult because they won't want to abandon it. That's just what I've found in my experiences with OBTs. They're very cool Ts. We had our male set up arboreally, and we have our current sling set up terrestrially so it's interesting to see what they'll do given the environment you put them in.

Cass

winwin

Arachnoknight
Psalmopoeus are actually one of the NW genera that don't possess urticating hairs.

The P. murinus would be the easiest to house, but not the easiest to rehouse. They rely heavily on their webbing, so during a rehousing it's difficult because they won't want to abandon it. That's just what I've found in my experiences with OBTs. They're very cool Ts. We had our male set up arboreally, and we have our current sling set up terrestrially so it's interesting to see what they'll do given the environment you put them in.

Cass
Ohhh... So what makes them NW if they don't have urticating hairs? I thought that's what sets NW and OW apart?

Nice experiment on the OBT. I constantly travel so I can't house them in a container with really deep substrate because that would make it hard to travel with. :}

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NW T's are from the "new world", for example: Brazil, Mexico, the States, etc...

OW T's are from the "old world", for example: Africa, Asia, Australia, etc...

Psalmopoeus irminia is from Venezuela, and P. cambridgei is from Trinidad (both Venezuela and Trinidad are in the 'new world') There are several genera of NW Ts without urticating hairs, such as Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius. The NW members of the subfamily Ischnocolinae (Holothele, Catumiri, Hemiercus, Oligoxystre, etc) also do not possess urticating hairs.

Cass

winwin

Arachnoknight
NW T's are from the "new world", for example: Brazil, Mexico, the States, etc...

OW T's are from the "old world", for example: Africa, Asia, Australia, etc...

Psalmopoeus irminia is from Venezuela, and P. cambridgei is from Trinidad (both Venezuela and Trinidad are in the 'new world') There are several genera of NW Ts without urticating hairs, such as Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius. The NW members of the subfamily Ischnocolinae (Holothele, Catumiri, Hemiercus, Oligoxystre, etc) also do not possess urticating hairs.

Cass
Ohhhhh.... Thanks for the info! :D

winwin

Arachnoknight
I think now it's either P. Murinus and P. Irminia... Need help guys! :D

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P.irminia (yeah, I'm being totally biased {D )

They have fascinating webbing habits, great eaters and very pretty. On the fast side but Tappy owners can tell you that they aren't the most speedy. As they mature, they start using bits of moss or other light decor to add on to their webbing for camouflage. Kind of like decorator crabs.

They do have their moments of hiding, though. I don't powerfeed, so sometimes my cambridgei or irminia will sit and wait at the entrance of the hide for even more food. {D

winwin

Arachnoknight
P.irminia (yeah, I'm being totally biased {D )

They have fascinating webbing habits, great eaters and very pretty. On the fast side but Tappy owners can tell you that they aren't the most speedy. As they mature, they start using bits of moss or other light decor to add on to their webbing for camouflage. Kind of like decorator crabs.

They do have their moments of hiding, though. I don't powerfeed, so sometimes my cambridgei or irminia will sit and wait at the entrance of the hide for even more food. {D
Hmmm... Nice. :D