It crawled out of my E. campestratus

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
This spider was from a recent import. I've never actually had this happen before, as most of my collection is captive born stock. I was quite shocked when I stumbled across this. Obviously my spider is dead with a big hole in its abdomen .

All I know is this maggot owes me 40 bucks :wall:

Later, Tom

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow, sorry to hear about that, Tom!

I'm curious to see what it turns into.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Woah, weird....

Do you think it could be one of those parasitic wasps? I've seen programs where they lay eggs which turn into grubs inside other insects?

I'm certainly no expert so i'll happily stand corrected if someone knows more about them :D

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A parasitic fly larva......that sucks. :(

kylecchh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ouch, that bites. Was the tarantula showing any symptoms of infestation before the larvae emerged? It appears it literally consumed all of the spider's internal organs. (From the picture.) ._.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That freakin' blows. Kinda cool in some ways but sad and sucky in most of the others. I'm sorry about your loss :(

Lor&Chris

Arachnopeon
I'm very sorry for your lose.

I have found that exact larva in with my meal worms about 5-7 days after I bought some from a non chain pet store. I dont usually feed meal worms to my tarantula's, I personally dont like meal worms. I always keep new food items separate from the ones I know to be healthy thankfully for about a month.

I'm sorry once again, Chris.

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow that would have really freaked me out. A very good reason to always buy c.b.:(

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dam..

:mad: Wow that sucks, I would have fed that fat sucker to one of my other T's.. sort of retribution.
Not to mention all the nutrients that fat powerfed mofo is carrying.

Maggot eats spider, spider eats maggot - it's a dog eat dog world.

In other news: You last visited: 02-06-2006 at 12:25 AM
4 years since my last visit to this site :?

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow that would have really freaked me out. A very good reason to always buy c.b.:(
+1 Ditto. I'll buy slings that hatched from a WC gravid female, but I'd be worried about getting a wild caught adult or juvie. You think parasitic insects would bother with tiny slings in the wild or is it not enough food? :?

Such a bummer. Are you keeping it to see what it grows into or is it destroyed?

bholmes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This spider was from a recent import. I've never actually had this happen before, as most of my collection is captive born stock. I was quite shocked when I stumbled across this. Obviously my spider is dead with a big hole in its abdomen .

All I know is this maggot owes me 40 bucks :wall:

Later, Tom
Wow so this is strange. Just a few hours ago I was at a very good LPS here in Austin. When I was there I noticed that one of their E. campetratus was on its back waving its legs around. Then I noticed the huge bulge on the abdomen. The owner automatically put it in a freezer because it was obviously about to burst. I wonder if they could have been from the same import. I plan to call him and tell him about yours so he can keep an eye on the others he has.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
+1 Ditto. I'll buy slings that hatched from a WC gravid female, but I'd be worried about getting a wild caught adult or juvie. You think parasitic insects would bother with tiny slings in the wild or is it not enough food? :?

Yes they would, theres different types. Some small, some big. I've had them in my my w/c jumping spider. She was so beautiful too, small, but great color: a satan pink her whole body was. (silly people would think she was albino :rolleyes: )
But then a parasitic worm busted out of her abdomen one day.
Also common in...what are they called... Well we call them cave crickets, weird looking crickets heres a picture http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/60739525_02bcbd8060.jpg
Even when they are walking around they sometimes have these parasitic worms crawling out of their bums... If you take some tweezers you can pull them right out. Its weird. So, please don't feed those to your spiders. lol

maitre

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That looks like a botsfly larva. Lucky it crawled out of your T and not your arm or leg or any other part of your body (youtube it).

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Its alive and doing fine, for sure im interested in seeing what it becomes. Its unfortunate for the spider , but the cycle of life interest me as well. Im keeping my new $40.00 maggot isolated from the rest of my collection.:cool:

Later, Tom

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Whoa!That's pretty crazy Tom!Should be interesting to see what hatches and ID it to a species level.
-Chris

thebugfreak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if it was a parasitic wasp that did that, chances are, he wouldnt have bought them in the first place because the wasp first stings the tarantula, paralyzing it and then brings the T down to her burrow.

im really curious to see what that turns into.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
if it was a parasitic wasp that did that, chances are, he wouldnt have bought them in the first place because the wasp first stings the tarantula, paralyzing it and then brings the T down to her burrow.

im really curious to see what that turns into.
There's a lot of different species though. I used to raise a lot of polyphemus moth larvae and about 10% would be infested with a large yellow wasp. I wouldn't know which ones until they pupated. The wasp larvae would leave the moth pupae and make a large cocoon inside the poly cocoon. I would know which ones were parasitized because the moth pupae wouldn't rattle. Not every wasp digs a burrow and paralyzes the T. That maggot could be fly or wasp and by its size, I'm assuming wasp.

Sorry to see that happen to your T.

mhill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dang...very nasty. Sorry bout your T. But, yes it will be interesting to see what it turns into.