To mist or not to mist?

webspinner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been reading a lot about people misting there T's enclosure's. Well what is it "Mist or not to mist"?:?

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Very subjective question.

One school is:
"Why not, it helps raise humidity, especially if the vetilation is retarded via the use of saran wrap etc...."

Another is:
"Why waste your time, moisture on the sides will evaporate momentarily, and spiders humidity requirements aren't as high as people think they are; adequate humidity can be provided by wetting the substrate/overfilling the water bowl"

No good answer - as long as a waterdish is provided, i'm sure you'll probably be okay either way. =D

Guido

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i dont mist,( just my slings, about once a week) but i use a full dish of water

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I only mist sling vials and small containers where I don't have waterdishes in place yet. IME, misting large enclosures increases the occurrence and severity of pest problems. Its really a personal preference except with a small minority of tarantula species that are truely humidity dependent.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I mist my arborial cages, not to raise humidity, but for the spiders to drink. My cages are exremly ventilated, so I don't have to worry about mold or mites.

For my terrestrials, I just overflow the water dish.

I occaisionally add a few drops of water to my s'ling vials.

Jon

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep the water dish full and mist arboreals for them to drink.

Andy