Can you ID this spider?

Phancyface724

Arachnopeon
Found it around my house. I live in Northeast PA. The body is about 1" and the leg span side to side is 2.5" - 3". Much larger than the normal size spiders I'm use to. I took a pic through the lid of the container cuz it's tooo quick lol.

Attachments

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well I am just going to say...
does it look like this? we can't really see the bum pattern... but she looks like a young one either way. Females look leggier as they age.

Dolomedes tenebrosus is the following:

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
field guides recommend examination of reproductive organs to make positive IdS between scriptus and tenebrosus so I never know whether to call them scripts or tenebros since their ranges overlap in my neck of the woods.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im pretty sure they don't overlap here, since I havn't been able to find any info of them in my area.

Phancyface724

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I looked up the species name you gave me and it looks to be exactly what it is. I know the pic was kinda funny cuz of the red tint, but (s)he's identical to the pics I found online...All my neighbors know me as the tarantula lady so when they find weird looking spiders they bring them to me lol. Would it be considered inhumane to keep it? just curious cuz it is pretty neat. Thanks again for all the replies.

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for all the replies. I looked up the species name you gave me and it looks to be exactly what it is. I know the pic was kinda funny cuz of the red tint, but (s)he's identical to the pics I found online...All my neighbors know me as the tarantula lady so when they find weird looking spiders they bring them to me lol. Would it be considered inhumane to keep it? just curious cuz it is pretty neat. Thanks again for all the replies.
It's a terrific spider to keep as a pet, so go ahead :)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If it's mature it s also likely preggers so you should factor that into your decision. Their "nursery webs" are very fascinating to see and keeps the slings contained for a little while so you don't have them, yaknow, everywhere.

I had one of these last year. I let her keep the sac until it hatched then removed her and put the whole tank outside in the marsh across the street from me so they could crawl out and get established. Some would say that once you've fed her from your captive feeders you shouldn't release her back into the wild because of the risk of introducing a new pathogen to the local invert population. I think that's kind of an extreme scenario but not entirely without merit.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it's mature it s also likely preggers so you should factor that into your decision. Their "nursery webs" are very fascinating to see and keeps the slings contained for a little while so you don't have them, yaknow, everywhere.

I had one of these last year. I let her keep the sac until it hatched then removed her and put the whole tank outside in the marsh across the street from me so they could crawl out and get established. Some would say that once you've fed her from your captive feeders you shouldn't release her back into the wild because of the risk of introducing a new pathogen to the local invert population. I think that's kind of an extreme scenario but not entirely without merit.
there is a way around this.

I feed my True spiders exclusivly upon wild caught food usualy from their collection area. making it great for rerelease since I mostly am just studying them over pets.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well I am just going to say...
does it look like this? we can't really see the bum pattern... but she looks like a young one either way. Females look leggier as they age.

Dolomedes tenebrosus is the following:
I think a more accurate method of sexing D. tenebrosus is simply saying "Females get really *expletive* big. :D lol

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh I know, I mean why the reason hers was stocky looking, and just wanted to express they gain more leg span-compared to body ratio as they age.
I love them giants...poor guys are always bullied. lol