Encyocratella olivacea?

tarantulaeddie0

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anyone kno what T this is, Encyocratella olivacea? Making a list of future T's I wanna get and can't find a name on this one. Thanx guys.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
have a look at the australian T boards, they'll have tons of info on it :D I'm afraid i can't remember the common name, and am on my mobile currently

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
have a look at the australian T boards, they'll have tons of info on it :D I'm afraid i can't remember the common name, and am on my mobile currently
Encyocratella olivacea is an African species.

Last edited:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You'll also find some information under the name of Xenodendrophila gabrieli

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not too much reading material about these guys but I found some links that might be of some help with at least sexing them.

Sexing

e. olivacea sexing

This was just a short search, I'm sure if you search for a little longer than I did you'll find some interesting stuff.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes PYT is right not much info about the sp.... but definitely a beautiful one... very rare and expensive... i've have seen some juvie's the orange and black colour on the leg's are stunning the carapace and abdomen is orange, then the first section of their legs are black and the rest is orange again.... stunning lookin T

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just another little piece of trivia-Encyocratella females do not possess spermathecae, and are able to lay a fertile sac after molting.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just another little piece of trivia-Encyocratella females do not possess spermathecae, and are able to lay a fertile sac after molting.
Wow, cool! Are we sure it's even a Theraphosid?

And for the OP: If you do manage to locate and purchase one (good luck), please post pictures. This species is still fairly rare and expensive in the US.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The way I interpreted the OP's question was he was curious what the common name was, and that was it.

Maybe it's just me.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The way I interpreted the OP's question was he was curious what the common name was, and that was it.

Maybe it's just me.

<Reads OP post again>

Hey, I think you're right. I don't think I've ever heard the common name for this one. There are some T's that just plain don't have a common name, at least not an english one. As far as finding and purchasing one online, you'll do better with the sci-name anyway. If you just need it for labeling or whatever, I'm sur you'll find it sooner or later. Maybe you could just make up one of your own. It would have about equal meaning.

How about "The Invisible Tarantula" because you almost never see them (for sale).

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree that common names shouldn't be used - I was just offering my opinion on what the OP was looking for, since everyone is linking care info, etc. ;)

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If we follow the "place-color" format a lot of them have, I'd call it the Tanzanian Gold. Or the Black and Gold Baboon since it's an African species. Something like that.

I prefer scientific names, but it's hard to talk to outsiders about rare Ts when they have no common name.

Last edited:

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was tempted to say "olive" too at first because of the species name.