is this possible?

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
okay, so about a year ago or more i mated my female p murinus. she had a sac, it was good, and it had about 150 healthy offspring. she didnt double clutch, and soon after she molted. shes been hiding in her web ever since then, almost completely invisible from me. today she came out and her abdomen is huge, exactly like it was when she was gravid. im almost certain that she is, because i havent been powerfeeding her. is this possible that shes bearing eggs? and if so, what are the odds they are fertile?

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
aww man. yeah i guess it isnt possible to be fertile, wishful thinking got the best of me

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yea, Im not an expert on dud sacs, but im pretty sure the female still carries eggs, but they are infertile? Anyone wanna confirm?

I have a big female S.rubronitens that I believe is up to the same things because she is F A T. And she isnt powerfed at all. She just has put a ton of weight these last few weeks.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
aww man. yeah i guess it isnt possible to be fertile, wishful thinking got the best of me
If she is carrying eggs, you can breed her before she lays and the sac could be fertile. The eggs aren't fertilzed until they are being laid.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If she is carrying eggs, you can breed her before she lays and the sac could be fertile. The eggs aren't fertilzed until they are being laid.
I have done this with A.avic a few times actually.CB female that was NEVER paired was gravid.The good ol LED flashlight lit her up bright yellow.Threw a male in,he finished up his duty,and I had a sack a month later. Worked like a charm.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have done this with A.avic a few times actually.CB female that was NEVER paired was gravid.The good ol LED flashlight lit her up bright yellow.Threw a male in,he finished up his duty,and I had a sack a month later. Worked like a charm.
That is so awesome. I learn something new every day.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is so awesome. I learn something new every day.
Yea,if you KNOW that she is egg laden,and you have fast access to a MM,your set.She knows she is going to lay,so might as well make it viable.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like a dud egg sac is coming as stated.

Females can store sperm for a very long time, but they lose it all with the molt. It is possible she's got eggs ready to go. You probably still have time to get a male for her to make it a fertile sac. Fertilization takes place outside the body like someone else has stated.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If she's molted since being mated then yes, it will be a dud sac. Only e. olivacea can perform that special trick. :D

My female p. cambridgei(hybrid?) just layed and ate her 2nd dud sac since I've had her. She get's halfway through laying it and then proceeds to munch it. I'm not sure why she doesn't just re-absorb the eggs.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Try mating her again . The eggs aren't fertilized until the moment she lays them so you might just have enough time . Don't pass on an opportunity to bring more OBT's into the world . :D