Candles/air fresheners?

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So I'm wondering if anyone has ever had problems with candles or plug in air fresheners around tarantulas(or reptiles or birds).

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not with me. Never had anything die. But I still prefer to keep them at least 10ft away from the spider!

Elsvir

Arachnopeon
I agree, I haven't had any problems, but I don't want to take a risk. I always keep my bedroom door closed when my mom is going on her annual air-freshener or candle frenzy.

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will sometimes burn candles- in the same room but not near my Ts. I've never seen them act distressed or differently at all when candles are burning. I have, however, made a point not to burn any incense in their room- seems like that might be a bit much for them.

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All of mine are in the living room, and my wife is wanting to put up febreze plug in air fresheners in the living room.

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Definitely no plug-ins for birds. Scented candles have scent stabilizers in them that are toxic to birds as well, according to everything I read on the 'net regarding those two things. That's the downfall of avian companionship;your house stinks:wall:

Last edited:

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Definitely no plug-ins for birds. Scented candles have scent stabilizers in them that are toxic to birds as well, according to everything I read on the 'net regarding those two things. That's the downfall of avian companionship;your house stinks:wall:
Well its good to know the problem is her bird and not my "bugs" lol.

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not with me. Never had anything die. But I still prefer to keep them at least 10ft away from the spider!
Same here and I even burn incense once or twice a week (not in the same room... at least 25 feet away from my Ts).

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i agree with all the above post... your ok. just dont put it close to their enclosure's... i spray febreeze, all the time and use glade plug-in's and have never ran into any issue's...

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This topic has been discussed many times, but the general consensus is that it is fine. However, it is up to you and your research to decide whether you want to do so. We use oil warmers currently, but have used plug-ins and candles with no adverse effects. An advanced search in Questions&Discussions should lead to more threads/ older threads. :D

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Should be fine. But to me me spraying is a no no. If I EVER do, I point the tip DOWN and AWAY from their enclosures. Im always scared the spray with kill them...

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
Glade candles have been known to kill birds that were in the room 20 minutes after the candle was extinguished...be careful around spiders. As well, high-over heating nonstick cookware can release gas that can kill nearby birds very quickly...also likely hazardous for Ts.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hmm, I use to burn those Glade candles at Christmas time and I have 5 parakeets in the room. I'm lucky they were not harmed. I started reading on the Internet about all these candles and air freshners and they seem to be harmful in many ways, even to people so I got rid of everything. So now I guess my house just has those natural smells of bird poop, tarantula dirt and moss, and kitty litter box. LOL.

photobuggirl

Arachnopeon
I use scented reed diffusers and have found no reason to be concerned. They don't put out a large amount of scent though.

Atrax1207

Arachnopeon
I think if you don't over do it, it's OK, but I don't like those spray air-fresheners, those don't look T' friendly, to me at least.

fretman08

Arachnosquire
My dog pooped in my room and we lit a candle and inscense. Didn't seem to affect them.