Paraguaná xeric scrubland (home of the GBB)

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Indeed. My obsession with Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens continues apace. :)

I am sure you can understand. :D

I've done a lot of homework.

I am guilty of abusing the search function, and have read pretty much every topic on the species it has thrown up.

I have scoured the web (the internet, not my GBB's ;) ) hungrily devouring any information I can find, in order to learn all I can, to provide my little treasure with the very best care possible.

I want to offer her the very closest thing I can, to her natural habitat, for her to thrive in.

With this in mind, I would very much appreciate your help my friends, in filling this topic with any related material you feel relevant to my quest. Anything you think of, it doesn't matter if (as is possible) I've already encountered it on my search for information; please feel free to add your knowledge and experience to this thread. :)

Things of particular interest to me:

1). Pictures of Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens homeland.

Google seems extremely limited in my searches along the lines of the title of this topic. If you have any images of the Paraguaná xeric scrubland, please share them (according to copyright rules of course).

2). Rick C. West (2005): 'Desert Blues'. ARACHNOCULTURE 1(1): 22-28: (Article on the GBB's habitat)

Seems to have gone out of print, and unavailable on their website. If you know of any links to this article, or any way I can get hold of a copy, I would be extremely grateful.

3). Types of local fauna/flora:

Any information or knowledge you have on the genus/species of plant-life/vegetation growing in this eco-region, I will be happy to read. Again, it doesn't matter if I've already seen it, I'd rather see it again, than miss something I may find of use to me.

4). Soil/sand/substrate.

I've ripped the search engine apart on the subject of sand and T's. Witnessed much debate upon its suitability, and encountered many conflicting opinions. But I've also seen some of Rick West's images from his expedition to the land of GBB's, and I see a lot of sand.

This is not for T's in general, but specifically for C. cyaneopubescens: if I add to my current coconut fibre substrate, a very small/thinly dispersed top layer of sand filtering into the existing substrate) to add to the 'real-feel' of my enclosure, what type of sand do you recommend?

5). Anything else you feel will add to my knowledge and assist me in creating the perfect "naturalistic" living environment for my cherished pet; Please do not hold back from sharing it. Have pictures of your own GBB set up? Feel free to share or link to them.

I basically want this topic to be about creating the perfect natural living environment for Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, in order that they may thrive and live as contented a life as it is possible for them to experience in captivity.

Not only for me, but, as a definitive reference point for all future GBB carers to come. With that in mind, anything at all you feel relevant to the nature of the topic; please go ahead and share your knowledge.

Many thanks. :)

Saf.

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
here is a video of Rick west and the habitat of the GBB. sorry it isnt in english.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R9Yg6xEwo8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R9Yg6xEwo8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
here is a video of Rick west and the habitat of the GBB. sorry it isnt in english.
Awesome! Thank you Cody, that was a great video. :D

Apart from the 'horror' part of a GBB being killed by a Pepsis Wasp. :(

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For anyone else that may be interested, number one is taken care of.

This link contains a vast range of awesome images of Paraguaná.

Most are copyrighted, so I won't share.

But here's a link to one of a GBB making it's home on an old boat by the beach:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93543732@N00/600472615

Anyway:

2). Rick C. West (2005): 'Desert Blues'. ARACHNOCULTURE 1(1): 22-28: (Article on the GBB's habitat)

Would really appreciate if anyone can help me find a copy of this.

and...

4). Soil/sand/substrate.

If I collect some from one of my local award winning clean beaches, would you treat it in any way before adding to the enclosure?

Edited to add a couple of videos I found:

Hábitat Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens PENÍNSULA DE PARAGUANÁ VENEZUELA Part 2

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qgMmDy7wlTY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qgMmDy7wlTY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wF1rsR0-gto&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wF1rsR0-gto&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Hi Saf-

I personally don't feel that sand is necessary. Your little friend will just web right over the top of it, anyway. I do provide at least 4 inches of substrate(all of mine have "burrowed" in connection with their semi-arboreal tube web. Regarding the tube web: it is my understanding that they often make them homes at the base of shrubs. I typically provide something to mimic a vertical structure that they can attach their webbing to, i.e. cork bark, cured tree limbs, rock, etc. Happy homing!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The family of my sister in law works on the Geography field around "Los Medanos de Coro" in Venezuela , where they find all the GBB.

ill try to get a hold of them to see if I can send you some nice info :D.

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Saf-

I personally don't feel that sand is necessary. Your little friend will just web right over the top of it, anyway. I do provide at least 4 inches of substrate(all of mine have "burrowed" in connection with their semi-arboreal tube web. Regarding the tube web: it is my understanding that they often make them homes at the base of shrubs. I typically provide something to mimic a vertical structure that they can attach their webbing to, i.e. cork bark, cured tree limbs, rock, etc. Happy homing!

Thanks for your reply. :)

I agree the sand is not necessary.

Though I still wish to incorporate some into our enclosure design, for a few reasons. We just have the one T at the moment, and to my young daughter and myself, she is a cherished pet, rather than just one of a large collection.

Even though I know she'll be just fine without the sand, I also know it is a natural part of their environment/habitat, and I want to make her living space as true to life as possible. Being that she's captive bred, I know she's never actually "seen" her natural homeland, so could not technically "miss" it; but there is also aesthetic value for me personally in creating a nice home for her.

Her enclosure has become the main focal point of our living room, and as such, I want to make it visually appealing. The idea is to recreate a realistic 'little piece of Paraguaná' in our lounge, and make it as true to life as possible; as a nice looking display centrepiece.

The other great aspect for me, is to see my little girl so passionate about caring for our new pet. For a girl who was apprehensive at first about T's, it is so awesome to see the way she has fallen in love with our beautiful little sling, and her enthusiasm for this enclosure project is so enjoyable for me.

She's always been quite shy, and tends not to get involved in many activities or hobbies, so it's amazing to see how devoted she has become to her new T. It's great to see her becoming so involved, taking such an interest in something (and especially something I love so much too, that we can share); to see her caring so much and feeling a sense of responsibility, and actively wanting to learn all about her new pet so she can take good care of it, and I just feel really proud of her. :)

She's even been keenly studying the GBB's habitat along with me, with great enthusiasm; so this little project is as much for her as it is for me, and of course for our T, to make her a great home that she'll be very content in.

The family of my sister in law works on the Geography field around "Los Medanos de Coro" in Venezuela , where they find all the GBB.

ill try to get a hold of them to see if I can send you some nice info :D.
That would be fantastic, thank you very much indeed Fran. :D

I really appreciate that you'd take the time to do that for me. :)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Kudos to you for sharing knowledge and passion with your child. I would love to see what you guys settle on when you conclude your research. Naturalistic vivariums are awesome. Good luck!

Dppires

Arachnopeon
I don't know if it will help you in any way, but here's the enclosure I made for my subadult female based on the Spidermania documentary that you mencioned, with Rick West. The picture is a little old and It's all webbed up now.

I hope it helps in some way.

Attachments

RJ2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that is an awesome enclosure! what did you use for your substrate?

Dppires

Arachnopeon
that is an awesome enclosure! what did you use for your substrate?
It's one type of natural potting soil. It looks kind of like sand, but has the same texture as of the regular potting soil people are used to.

Pretty good stuff to use with desert and semi-arid species as it holds hides and tunnels very well.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know if it will help you in any way, but here's the enclosure I made for my subadult female based on the Spidermania documentary that you mencioned, with Rick West. The picture is a little old and It's all webbed up now.

I hope it helps in some way.
Thats a wonderful enclosure ! I want it !

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... 2). Rick C. West (2005): 'Desert Blues'. ARACHNOCULTURE 1(1): 22-28: (Article on the GBB's habitat)
Contact Rick directly at Rick C. West <rickcwest@shaw.ca> and ask or a reprint. In academic circles authors frequently either keep a few hundred copies of their articles around for such occasions, or they merely E-mail you a PDF copy.

Also, tell Rick I said Hi!