Dactylotum bicolor

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just a beautiful hopper I photographed while walking. These have always amazed me and had to share.

Attachments

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hope you dont mind me sharing a photo I took a few yrs back, but here it is. Click for larger.

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
look almost painted, I wonder what purpose the colours serve
The color is a warning to would be predator, they have poisonous/bitter properties obtained from the plants they eat (as is my understanding). The common name is rainbow or painted grasshopper very fitting as you noticed. They are smallish get between 3-4cm (the one pictured is about 3.5cm).

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hope you dont mind me sharing a photo I took a few yrs back, but here it is. Click for larger.
Not at all. Lovely critters. More pictures the merrier ;)

Here is a nymph my daughter found earlier this year,

Attachments

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thank you for clarifying for me, and yes the common names usualy are obvious, it keeps it eaiser to go " ya know, that spider that chases ya for a mile and shootz lazors out of its eyes" 'oh you mean a solfugid"

anyway *grins*

that is fascinating I always did llike the various defene mechanisms against predators, I was truely stunned when the chemicles lady bugs emplore will even deter jumping spiders! however, less so the spiders that employ web to catch their prey

Last edited: