Strange liquid coming from spiders mouth?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Today I found a some sort of wolf spider, so I picked it up to take pictures of him. While I was taking the pictures I noticed that there was an "orange/brown" liquid coming from his fangs. Does anybody know what this is? Is it venom or just like a self defense stinky thing that gets rid of predators?

Heres a pic- http://www.flickr.com/photos/48944632@N02/4727491385/

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
probably just regurging excess h2o ...she looks fat and sometimes they do this to make room in a way and relieve some pressure

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, first off, this wolf spider appears to be a Trochosa sp. :)

I've also seen spiders spit up excess water, but I'm not sure that's what's happening in this picture. Instead, you probably scared the bezeeses out of her and she's throwing up. Look at the situation from the spider's perspective. Some large creature has grabbed it and placed it on its arm or finger and is hovering over it with a strange rectangular object. Strange sights, smells and vibrations are going on that it's not used to. Not a natural situation for the spider, and spiders react reflexively, not thoughtfully. The fluid may be a regurgitation of digestive juices as part of a defensive/flight reaction. I doubt that it is venom from the fangs. However, had the spider bitten you the stuff would have gotten into the wound. Spiders also poop when they are alarmed (better wash your hands after handling this one. :)).

Nice pictures.

Last edited:

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The same thing happened after I fed my Phidippus regius jumpers ( waaaay back when they were just juveniles/sub-adults) The fluid was clear though, or looked relatively clear. They had JUST eaten and his stomach was definitely a bit over-filled. Normally you never see a male's abdomen quite this large! Here are some of the pictures I took when that happened.

Your Trochosa specimen is really cute, too. :D

j-boy

Arachnopeon
My lace weavers do that too but, they let out some white dropslets of web when there are fat too.