tibial spurs

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is trying to find tibial spurs on a tarantula a reasonable way to determine the sex of my T? If so, how easy should they be to see? I have a Lasiodora Parahybana that is about 5 inches, and it just molted. I got a close look to see if I could notice any tibial spurs and I could not see any. Any thoughts?:?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you see tibial spurs on a tarantula's front legs that is a 100% sure way to know it is a male. Unfortunately they are only present on mature males. So basically presence of hooks means male but absence of them means nothing. It could be a juvenile male or female or a sexually mature female.

Ventral sexing is not guaranteed but generally easy enough to sort out. Looking for spermathecae on a shed exuvia is the only surefire way to do it but it can be a bit daunting for some.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you see tibial spurs on a tarantula's front legs that is a 100% sure way to know it is a male. Unfortunately they are only present on mature males. So basically presence of hooks means male but absence of them means nothing. It could be a juvenile male or female or a sexually mature female.

Ventral sexing is not guaranteed but generally easy enough to sort out. Looking for spermathecae on a shed exuvia is the only surefire way to do it but it can be a bit daunting for some.
+1
Plus, I really, really doubt, that a 5" LP would be a mature male. These guys get to be about 8", so I don't doubt a female could be mature at that size, but a male? No, I really doubt it.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i often find that people say the moult is pretty messed up prematurely

the abdominal part of the moult naturally curls up in a weird way once it's off the T, and sometimes (i emphasise not always) it's still possible to carefully unravel the moult just enough to see the parts needed

Now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying you're prematurely saying it's been smushed, but have you had a go at trying to unroll it? At that size the spermathecae would be really straightforward to see, and even if you only see one, that's enough :D