Good beginner centipede species

Joe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Any suggestions? I'd prefer a large species, but I realize everyone has to start somewhere and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Gigantea sure is a good beginner :D

that if you take time to be fully prepared ;)

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unfortunately, there really isn't such a thing as a good beginner species with centipedes, unless you go for something really small. Nearly all scolopendras wil have a very painful, if not medically significant bite. So in terms of a beginner species being cheap and docile with a mild bite (for instace an avicularia in tarantula terms), there isn't such a thing. On the other hand, if you properly research about centipedes, and house them correctly, there really isnt much chance of getting bitten, in which case, i'd reccommend any of the scolopendra subspinipes subspecies (vietnamese, malaysian etc), or some of the african centipedes such as scolopendra mortisans or the tiger pedes, as they are all hardy and have minimal care requirements. Tell us what you decide and i'm sure people on this board wil be able to offer you specific help on how to care for a particular species.

Dan.

Joe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm more concerned with hardiness than docility. I have a decent amount of experience with venomous snakes, and limited experience with tarantulas and scorpions. What I'd really like is a species that's easy to keep alive and makes a good display animal.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Then i'd definitely reccommend going for one of the scolopendra subspinipes morphs, probably vietnamese as they are relatively cheap and easy to get hold of. As for being a good display animal, it does seem to depend on the individual. Don't be disapointed if you get one and you dont see it much, some pedes of the same species will be far more active and visible than others. Scolopendra heros is another good and generally visible active pede (from what i've heard), and Scolopendra gigantea is the ideal pede to own, as the are very large and tend to stay visible but will cost you an arm and a leg if you can find one.

Dan.

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeh il go with what dan says

but where you are is also a consideration, but the states has a lot of good suppliers of inverts, so it shouldnt be to hard to track one down. id go with the S heros they are beautiful always on veiw and very active what ive heard.suppose it depends on money too,but the cherry reds are to die for (S subspinipes).
its your prefference :)

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Originally posted by Obscenity

I hate Christmas. It keeps me from spending money on my favorite person. Me. :D
Right On Bro!!! My sentiments exactly!:D
George

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I could that is the one I'd want from them.:) It kicks serious ass.
Oh and is hellacool.:D