How much do you wholesale what for?

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So, recently I bought some large females specifically for the purpose of breeding them. However, I'm not that interested in selling the slings one at a time. I'd rather just sell the bulk of them to a more established dealer. I know other people do this. What I'm wondering is...

1)Can you find wholesale buyers for most slings?

2)What species are easy to move, and what are hard?

3)What percentage of the retail price do you usually expect to get?

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

1. Depends on species.. Anything that isn't common usually sells ok.

2. Easy to move? Well, to put it bluntly... If it isn't G. rosea, L parahybana, B vagans, B albopilosum, OBTs, etc.. then you can get it moved pretty easy. Those species are hard to sell in bulk because there's already a good saturation of them on the market.

3. Depends on what you buy them for, of course.. and it also depends on how much you want to make. For example, I once bought a ton of African tarantulas, 25 of which were H. maculata. I bought those for around 1.50-2.00 each, and resold for only like $4 each. Then again, I wasn't really seeking to make that much money, I could've asked $10 a pop, and I could've probably gotten it, but the sales would've moved slower.
I'm gonna step back and let a more experienced breeder/seller/etc step in.

nhdjoseywales

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i seem to remember from one of the long threads someone saying the dealers were offering him a few cents per hatchling. given the large number of hatchlings per sac and the high mortality rate of small slings i wouldn't expect much for them on a wholesale basis.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you have any idea what species this was for? I could see that with L parahybana, but say, GBB... those go for a pretty penny....

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1. Depends on species.. Anything that isn't common usually sells ok.

2. Easy to move? Well, to put it bluntly... If it isn't G. rosea, L parahybana, B vagans, B albopilosum, OBTs, etc.. then you can get it moved pretty easy. Those species are hard to sell in bulk because there's already a good saturation of them on the market.

3. Depends on what you buy them for, of course.. and it also depends on how much you want to make. For example, I once bought a ton of African tarantulas, 25 of which were H. maculata. I bought those for around 1.50-2.00 each, and resold for only like $4 each. Then again, I wasn't really seeking to make that much money, I could've asked $10 a pop, and I could've probably gotten it, but the sales would've moved slower.
I'm gonna step back and let a more experienced breeder/seller/etc step in.
and paid $??? in shipping express/priority if lucky and leave you with just about to brake even or maybe you made $20 ;)

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
and paid $??? in shipping express/priority if lucky and leave you with just about to brake even or maybe you made $20 ;)
Have you actually had this experience of dealers offering you so little for slings that you would hardly break even on the shipping?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well,I am lucky enough to have a few decent LPS around here that I sell %95 of our slings to.I just sold a bunch of Avic.avic slings for $3.50 each,and the LPS buy me out for the most part.I sold 43 slings to a member here for something like $125 shipped express a month or so ago.

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wholesale....

I am not going to go into details but I will touch upon this lightly. I don't disregard species based upon their rarity, rather I base it upon my stock. Recently I bought 200 H. Maculata, 300 OBTs, and 100 Rosehairs, all because I really have not put much emphasis into breeding those species. As far as pricing goes, it not only depends on the species, but the market, timing, season to be exact. The GBB was mentioned.... Not too long ago they were costing me X amount from imports, dealers, etc. that particular X amount had no price break and I was limited everywhere I went. To explain, it would cost me X for 1 and even if I bought 200 it would still cost that same X amount per, so quantity did not matter, beside that I was limitied to a small amount, sometimes only 20. The reason for that was because of their rarity, the fact that many individuals did not produce them, and many were available to me were coming in from an import, I believe. Shortly after that period of GBB being readily available, that X price dropped to almost half, whereas the retail dropped by a percentage far less than half, they became harder to move. Now, that X price isn't even there wholesale because there aren't any running around, consider this our "famine" of GBBs that will soon end, but I will say this, I am more inclined to pay the original X than hoping to get the latter X pricing, because of the timing. Aside from all of that mumbo jumbo, there is a standard, for many species, contingent on many factors. I say, watch what you breed (really only applicable to a couple species) and more importantly watch how you price them, use the factors to determine your 'offer' to a dealer, we may want one price, you may want another, but we can negotiate, trust me we don't bite (I think). Remember that we have to feed/house/pay for shipping etc. and those are some factors we will consider. Don't know if that helps.

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So, recently I bought some large females specifically for the purpose of breeding them. However, I'm not that interested in selling the slings one at a time. I'd rather just sell the bulk of them to a more established dealer. I know other people do this. What I'm wondering is...

LOL! I'm sorry, I did not actually answer your questions, persay... You have to watch me... Ok:

1) Yes. Depends on your pricing. Only one I would not, and perhaps I speak for most dealers right now, buy is Lasiodora Parahybana, I would hesitate even if they were free.

2) That all depends on your pricing, and of course what I mentioned in the above post. Off the top of my head, really easy to move are: Staples such as B. Smithi, Emelia, Boehemi and others along that range, more mid range species like GBB and some Poecilotheria, Ex. Miranda and Formosa. High end species such as P.Metallica and P.Smithi, I would venture to say you would sell out instantly, however there is no need to wholesale them unless you need the funds immediately. Hard to move: Maybe Rosea, Pulchripes, right now P. Regalis, as there has been a MASS outbreak of them, Maculata and Obts (Please keep in mind though, they WILL be bought if you have the right price, the issue is pricing because these species are being produced like crazy, you have more competition.)

3) That truly cannot be answered because it varies too much. From retail to retail it varies, from wholesale to wholesale it varies, from one businessman to the other it varies. Not much to go on there.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you maybe suggest some species that would be easier to move right now if they were bred (obviously I know you aren't making an offer)? Personally, my main concern is getting stuck with a bunch of slings that I can't take care of, and nobody wants. I'd prefer to make a few buck off of whatever I breed, but at the moment I am mostly wanting to learn.

These are some females that I currently have that I was considering breeding (in no particular order)...

C elegans
P regallis
T apophysis
T blondi
G rosea RCF
H gigas
Eauthlus sp "lowland gold"
GBB
N vulpinus
A versicolor
P scrofa
P cancerides

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you maybe suggest some species that would be easier to move right now if they were bred (obviously I know you aren't making an offer)? Personally, my main concern is getting stuck with a bunch of slings that I can't take care of, and nobody wants. I'd prefer to make a few buck off of whatever I breed, but at the moment I am mostly wanting to learn.

These are some females that I currently have that I was considering breeding (in no particular order)...

C elegans
P regallis
T apophysis
T blondi
G rosea RCF
H gigas
GBB
N vulpinus
A versicolor
P scrofa
P cancerides

The P. Cancerides, RCF, and H. Gigas may be a little harder to move, but allow me to reiterate, they WILL move, it depends on how you maneuver the market. Can you send me pictures of your Theraphosa?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

C elegans
P regallis
T apophysis
T blondi
G rosea RCF
H gigas
GBB
N vulpinus
A versicolor
P scrofa
P cancerides
I bet the Nhandu vulpinis/tripepii would FLY off the shelves. My wife is planning on breeding hers once our male goes ultimate. You NEVER see these for sale as slings from what we have seen.The GBB,blondi,and apophysis would be sure-fire sales as well,again IMHO.

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bet the Nhandu vulpinis/tripepii would FLY off the shelves. My wife is planning on breeding hers once our male goes ultimate.(for that very reason) You NEVER see these for sale as slings from what we have seen.

I don't know about FLY, but they will sell, that is for sure. The Apophysis and Blondi would be your number one thing, in my estimation, right now if they are true.

RichRollin

Arachnopeon
I bet the Nhandu vulpinis/tripepii would FLY off the shelves. My wife is planning on breeding hers once our male goes ultimate. You NEVER see these for sale as slings from what we have seen.The GBB,blondi,and apophysis would be sure-fire sales as well,again IMHO.
I second this! Breed those Nhandus, please! I cant remember the last time I saw Nhandu vulpinus/tripeppi slings for sale. Which sucks for me because I really want one.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like I said... right now I'm not looking to make a ton of money on this. I mostly want to do it for the experience.

Do you know anything on the Chile export ban? Could that make the p scrofa (does anyone even want these now?), or the rosea RCF more desirable?

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I second this! Breed those Nhandus, please! I cant remember the last time I saw Nhandu vulpinus/tripeppi slings for sale. Which sucks for me because I really want one.
Alright you two... when mine lays her sac, they better FLY off the shelves :cool: Lol. The Chile import ban is something I have heard about in recent times from very legitamate sources (will not be mentioned) and I am sure it will happen. Breed your RCF for the experience, send the Blondi and Apophysis to me :p kidding lol.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Most of my wholesale experience comes from scorpions. I think it should still count. About half of the scorpions I sale are wholesale.

1. Yes, it depends how much you want for them. I've had to sale one species at around 20% of the resale price to move them. No market otherwise.

2. With scorpions the rarer, harder to find stuff moves much easier. I don't really bother with about the really common stuff. If it's being brought in wild caught it won't really make any money. I still breed a lot of common stuff but it more for me.

3. Expect to get 30%-50% retail. The lowest I've gotten was 20%. Usually it's around 45%.

John

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alright you two... when mine lays her sac, they better FLY off the shelves :cool: Lol. The Chile import ban is something I have heard about in recent times from very legitamate sources (will not be mentioned) and I am sure it will happen. Breed your RCF for the experience, send the Blondi and Apophysis to me :p kidding lol.
Any info you care to share with us regarding the breeding process for these guys?(tripepii)

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you actually had this experience of dealers offering you so little for slings that you would hardly break even on the shipping?
well, I dont usually resale wholesale if I got wholesale, that dont make much scene, making $1-2 on 25 spiders and pay $25-$30 shipping
what do you think?
If I produce spiders and I happened to have way to many that is different story
then you dont need to cover any shipping costs to you
couze buyer will pay those shipping costs

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, I dont usually resale wholesale if I got wholesale, that dont make much scene, making $1-2 on 25 spiders and pay $25-$30 shipping
what do you think?
If I produce spiders and I happened to have way to many that is different story
then you dont need to cover any shipping cost to you
couze buyer will pay those shipping cost
Ah... that's what you're saying... ok. Yeah, I was asking about selling spiders that I bred wholesale. I want to start breeding more, but I'm also about to start graduate school, so I'd rather sell all of what I have (or most) at once, and not make as much money as I would if I sold them individually.