Help PLEASE

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My female g rose whom i just bought about a week ago is taking years to eat a cricket unlike the male, and by that i mean attacking the cricket! whenever i throw crickets into the males tank he FLIES towards in fit of fury and he'll kill multiple crickets at a time and have them all in his fangs together but my newly bought female won't even bother and when the cricket pass right by her mouth she lift up a leg or two all slow and touch the cricket making him flee for his life... i just fed her one but it took a few tries... first i toss the cricket very gently towards her face.. she just moved a little bit, then i tried and tried again with the same cricket and she just moved a little bit really slowly... so i then had to pretty much hand feed her by placing the now one legged cricking right in front of her face... and the pet store owner said she ate a pinky a few weeks ago... doesn't make sense... please help me.... peace out

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't panic. G rosea are very unpredictable when it comes to feeding, my own female refused food for over 8 months! Don't panic, if she is hungry she will feed. :)

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
howcome at the petstore she supposedly ate a pinky then... i'm worried cuz if she dies i'm gonna feel really bad.. i love these animals

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by da_illest
howcome at the petstore she supposedly ate a pinky then... i'm worried cuz if she dies i'm gonna feel really bad.. i love these animals
Err, didn't you read my answer to your question?

G rosea are very UNPREDICTABLE feeders. This means that sometimes they will scoff 10 crickets in one sitting, and other times they will refuse food for almost a year.
You can't force a tarantula to eat. When it's hungry, it will take food. No need to worry at all. :)

Last edited:

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry. My Rose hasn't eaten in almost a year. It drinks fine and it doesn't seem stressed so I just let her take care of herself. She'll eat when she wants to. I just keep offering crickets to her about once or twice a week and after 2 days I take them out if they are still there.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
also if she ate a pinky..

that is alot of meal for a small T. The hard part of caring for the Ts is patience. I used to stress over when mine were not eating too, but it never changed anything.
If they are in premolt they wont eat either. Just keep offering her a cricket and leaving it for awhile, and if she doesnt eat it, remove the cricket and try again a few days later.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I will also confirm that this is normal behavior for G. rosea. If yours ate a pinkie mouse only a week or so ago, it may be some time before she eats again. This is especially true because vertebrate foods like mice are very filling, much more so than invertebrate foods like crickets.

I'd suggest you read the sticky notice at the top of this board entitled "How to REALLY care for your G. rosea" if you haven't already. Perhaps it will assist in further easing your fears.

Welcome to the board!

Joy

Last edited:

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rosies sometimes will go off food for awhile, as long as she is plump and healthy looking it's nothing to worry about. Or it could signal an upcoming molt.

Andy