Tiny White Bugs crawling all over enclosure.

Zman181

Arachnoknight
I'm sure all of you have seen this in your enclosures one time or another. When I leave dead prey items for my slings overnight these tiny white bugs appear all over. Are they harmful? How do I go to prevent this from happening? I do maintanance on them daily. I keep them as clean as possible.

Zman181

Arachnoknight
I will post 2 pics when i get to work. It's most likely from uneaten food.

Shaka

Arachnopeon
Tiny white bugs sounds likes mites, clean the enclosure, you don't want them finding a nice little home in the booklungs of your T and eventually suffocating it. They also multiply like mad, clean clean clean. My 2 cents.

JamieC

Arachnopeon
It could also be springtails.
My thoughts too.

Springtails are white, about 3 - 4mm in length and jump great distances. These are beneficial as they eat mold/fungus. I deliberately place them in my enclosures. If they are springtails, no need to remove them. :)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They're probably mites. Just remove the bolus and you're good to go.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mine mostly ALWAYS come in my B. Jacksoni container. Every single cricket leaves them and it really grinds my nerves. Its the only container that gets them so bad.

Zman181

Arachnoknight
Thanks everyone. Here are 2 pics of them. Another question, I once heard that pill bugs are beneficial in you T's enclosure. What are your opinions on this?

Attachments

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those do look like mites. I do keep baby isopods in my enclosures to help clean up(except the GBB; too dry for them). I used to put in adult isopods but the psalmopoeus keep eating them.

Zman181

Arachnoknight
Thanks for your replies. I'm stressing now. I don't want these mites to kill my Slings. I back tracked and came up with a cause of this. I used a piece of Bark from the park without baking it.

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
To paraphrase Schultz and Schutlz, mites are everywhere. You probably had some in there already from your feeders, and the conditions became right for them to undergo a population boom. Depending on the species of the slings, letting the viles dry out might just be a viable option.

Zman181

Arachnoknight
I'm happy to say I no longer have this problem. Thanks to all for your input.