Tarantula creating a sperm web! ^_^

montraydavis

Arachnopeon
This is the first time I have witnessed this with my eyes! I have taken some photos as well :p Looks SUPER awesome!

The first image, the sperm bank isn't so visible because of the flash, but, you can clearly see it in the second and third one :)

What do you guys think?? ^_^

Spider data--

Species: Aphonopelma Anax
Common name: Texas Tan / Texas Brown
Size: About 3/4" legspan

montraydavis

Arachnopeon
At first I thought he was moulting, until I notced that small white speckle..... Which looks like it could be sperm, so I did some research, and turns out that is what he was doing.... He's now walking all over the web :)

montraydavis

Arachnopeon
that's very cool!

3/4" legspan?
Thanks :) And I'm taking a wild guess from what I think is 3/4" . I have no way of measuring him :p.... He looks a lot different in size on the photo. He appears MUCH larger in the photo lOl.
Ohh, and by legspan, I mean each leg is close to that size :p

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks :) And I'm taking a wild guess from what I think is 3/4" . I have no way of measuring him :p.... He looks a lot different in size on the photo. He appears MUCH larger in the photo lOl.
Ohh, and by legspan, I mean each leg is close to that size :p
That's not the standard we use in the hobby. We measure diagonally from front leg (Leg I) to opposite back leg (Leg IV).

Just an FYI.

montraydavis

Arachnopeon
That's not the standard we use in the hobby. We measure diagonally from front leg (Leg I) to opposite back leg (Leg IV).

Just an FYI.
Ah. Didn't know that ;p

Thanks for the information... Well, in this case, I guess you could say around 6-8" then? :p

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I doubt you have an A. anax with a leg span of 6-8".

Once you've been in the hobby for a while, you'll be able to more accurately guess a spider's DLS (diagonal leg span). :)

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Did you find him outside? Is that dirt from outside? lol

Cool pics by the way.

Last edited:

montraydavis

Arachnopeon
I doubt you have an A. anax with a leg span of 6-8".

Once you've been in the hobby for a while, you'll be able to more accurately guess a spider's DLS (diagonal leg span). :)
Ahh ... Well, he is my first T, so surely I have some learning to do . Thanks for the tips :p

B8709 : No... I bought him. The dirt is store bought as well... Is it not suitable for the spider? Should I change the subtrate? The dirt is a bit dry because I hear they are like dry climates. :p And thanks!

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought you might have found it outside since you live in texas and don't know his age. I guess that dirt is fine. It looked like dirt from outside.