Scorpion food items (for 1-3rd instar)

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
anyone have any brilliant ideas for prey items for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd instar scorps?? i know termites, fruit flies, etc are good.
what do you think about weavals?? the little bronish/black bugs you find in old cereal, wheat, etc etc?? they are pretty small but maybe not small enough. i was thinking about useing those because they are very redily available to me.
any ideas???

Y-man

Arachnosquire
Feeders

Are you planning to catch the weavels, and start a culture? How much work would that be for you?

I have Colonies of Blatta Lateralis, Dubia Roach, cricket, mealworm, superworm, and fruit fly's. I rotate which bin I take from to get some diversity. I'm phazing out the Dubia's though.

Any of the above colonies can be started with minimal effort and cost, and you can control how big they get by removing the adults, and feeding them to the mom, or selling on Craigslist.

I've never heard of raising weavels, maybe there is a reason why.

Last edited:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use baby lobster roaches. Those things breed like, well, roaches. {D
They are really small, but if you think they are still too big, you can pre-kill or maim them. I have a couple of really small species, and they have given birth in the past, so I am speaking from experience. ;)

Y-man

Arachnosquire
Correction

Weevil. I had to look it up.

How many scorpions are we talking about here?

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feed cricket drumstick
They like it despite being smaller than the food themself
Anw, silverfish are also a good feeder for small scorpions

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
all good inputs. currently i have 1i of hentzi. expecting a dozen or so Leiurus 1i soon. just trying to get opinions.
someone chimmed in with "weevil". that could be accurate. i didnt look up how to spell the name (to lazy). lol.
the "weevils" that i have, i guess you could say, are WC. i work for a feed company so we have various grains for horses and cattle (and others as well). we have the little bugs by the millions in certain products. i just collect them when i need more. i could literally come up 100's if not thousands of these bugs.
i do have a dubia colony and crickets also. just thought i would try to offer adult prey items that are very small.