Top Ten Most Aggressive Tarantulas

Sadistic_Serpen

Arachnopeon
Hi!

I'm new here, my name is Mackenzie, and I've been reading the beginner thread (which helps a lot). I was thinking about a Mexican Blonde, Mexican Red Knee, Costa Rican Zebra, or a Pinktoe. I have a lot of experience with snakes (mainyl ball pythons), and I hope to breed a large scale of reptiles.

Anyways, I was wondering what you think the top ten most agressive tarantulas are? Yes, I am aware that most tarantulas are individual... I was just wondering what your opinions are. I don't have enough experience to form an opinion :p

~ Mackenzie

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We usually refer to them as most defensive. The species Pterinochilus murinus and the genus Haplopelma are some of the most defensive. Not recommended to you yet. My first Tarantula was a Haplopelma, but it was a mistake...I thought I was getting an A. seemani.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As stated they are not agressive.. But deffensive..

But to add to the list of deffensive tarantulas.. I would say the Psalmopoeus genus.. They are pretty deffensive..

Sadistic_Serpen

Arachnopeon
Ah... Sorry...

I'm used to calling some snakes 'aggressive'.

Oh, I don't plan on getting any defensive tarantulas for a while, I just wanted to see some of the most agressive ones. I heard the Baboons were?

~ Mackenzie

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's alright. They're defensive instead of aggressive because they don't come after you to hurt you for fun. They just protect and defend their homes from intruders. Yes, Pterinochilus murinus is a baboon tarantula (Orange Baboon Tarantula or Orange Bitey Thing). Old worlds rely on their bites, opposed to the new worlds who would rather kick irritating hair as they make a getaway.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Top two in my opinion and experience would be Chilobrachys spp. and Selenocosmia spp.

Cass

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well...
This is gonna start a war, but by definition, they can show aggressiveness.
They can be aggressive, wheter is via defensive mechanisms...It is aggressivness.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, it could be argued that they can infact be aggresive defenders, when they're defensive often, if you use aggresive in the same fashion as "he's an aggresive flirter when he's drunk", but this is all down to defenitions of course :D

I would have to say haplopelma, simply because mine is mental. It's about the size of a fingernail, and the meanest little booger ever.. It actually tried to kill me through the vents of its vile..

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Top 10 is impossible to say, there are a lot of OW/NW species you never heard of.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Top 10 is impossible to say, there are a lot of OW/NW species you never heard of.
Let your hair down just once, and rate the ones you do know about. No need to drag the unknowns into this, as the OP hardly expects us to predict stuff :D

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good quote

It is possible to aggressively defend, no?
Red Beard, You hit the nail on the head with that term. I like it. "Aggressively defensive"!- although none of my current t's would be considered as such. All are pretty doggone passive- even a few that were previously noted in various texts to be fairly defensive. The A genic and N vulpinus merely mistake fingers for food at times {D-imo that doesn't count. Guess I lucked up 100% so far with docile individuals of various genera and spp.

Somethings telling me this is soon to change

Good one,

Terry

BatGirl

MAJOR
Old Timer
Burmese Cobalt Blue

One of the species sometimes found in pet shops (well, that's where I found a couple of them so far) is the Cobalt Blue (Haplopelma lividum) discovered in Burma, aka Burmese Cobalt Blue. EXTREMELY hostile (sometimes just making a faint noise that gets their attention will make them aggressive... kinda like some of the members of this forum, heh, heh) and they have a very nasty bite (just ask xhexdx about his experience - he survived it, but I don't think I would've what with my health condition and advanced age...). I have never even thought to handle any of my Blues, just experiencing their hostility was enough to make me settle for just looking (they ARE such a nice crush velvet deep iridescent blue, and definitely worth having - just don't handle) :eek: