Avicularia purpurea ~3 cm body adult male ?!

Freequed

Arachnopeon
Hello,

Firstly sorry for my English. I am from Poland.

I want to ask how is it possible that the male original (no cf..) Avicularia purpurea ~3cm(2,7) body is adult male ? He 9 molting. hi is capable to mating withe female ?? And this is normal adult male ?

Photos:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
That is indeed a mature male.

Once it has made a sperm web it is ready to mate.

Freequed

Arachnopeon
It may be difficult for him to reach female chinks? his chelicerae are small

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
The chelicerae are the mouth parts that hold the fangs. On the male they have nothing to do with the mating. Maybe you meant the pedipalps and they look just like they are supposed to be. Unless due to any sort of weird individual mutation there isn't usually any difference in size of appendages between different healthy spiders unless you count the overall size of the animal.

Freequed

Arachnopeon
pedipalps <-- yea.

ok female 7-8cm body, male 3cm body female can not eat it :] He is realy small D: I see for the first time such a small adult male

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
The body size is not really what is important here, it's the leg span. A malnourished spider can have a "body size" (in reference to what you measured) of 2 cm when it's malnourished and 5 cm when it's very overfed. It's still the same size spider in regard to the leg span however.

Since that is a relative constant in spiders and since that's what's important in the mating, you should be looking at that in stead.

You measure the leg span diagonally from one hind leg to opposite front leg. Mature males tend to be smaller in size than females, but tend to have rather long legs.

What is the leg span of the female?

Freequed

Arachnopeon
that's the one male raised a female ? Because I want to sell it. I do not have a female.

I ask here whether it can copulate withe female. But we must remember that the male is is four times smaller than the female and may not have the strength to do something...

And one more question.

Does this amount could be hereditary? Because right from the Polish forum will write that the young could inherit the size of the male...

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
To what size a T grows is dependent on too many factors for me to give you any good answer on. But it seems to have to do with feeding and temperature just as much as genetics.

If you want to sell it, do so. State the leg span of the purpurea in your ad, maybe add a photo or two and let the buyer decide if the male is too small or not. I'm sure you'll get him sold eventually.

I didn't understand that question:
that's the one male raised a female ?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A smaller male is capable of mating a larger female without too much issue, they are resiliant.

the pictures are good but do not help for much more then gestimating the legspan of the tarantula (see ciriths post for why legspan is much better then body size)

I would guess the male at being 3-5" leg span, which is acceptable adult size for a tarantula.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you have a female, let that boy at her. I wish you were in the states, I have a beautiful female in need of a stud like that.

Good luck.

PIG-

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
As stated previously, A. purpurea males can be surprisingly small compared to females. I have a sac from a female that was mated to a male easily 1/3 of her size, so...yeah...he'll be fine to mate. Perfect, post-coital snack size;)

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha look at the King Baboon's ! The males are easily 1/4 of the females size . Female - chunky legs and 8"+ Male - skinny legs , and 5" lol . But the males manage it .