What type of scorpions do you do better with? Desert or Tropical?

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My tropical scorpions ALWAYS seem to last less then my desert scorpions.

Maybe it's the constant need of humidity.

Or the fact that my tropical scorpions are naturally shorter lived since I'm talking about Centruroides and tityus.

Even so, smaller species of desert species like Vaejovis, Androctonus, etc. last longer. And they seem to need less care without the constant watering.

I prefer desert scorps now..

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think it has a lot to do with what is available. The species we get from tropical places tend to live shorter lives. The desert species we have live longer. For instance all the tropical genus you named are small buthids that live shorter lives. The desert species you listed are either nonbuthids or larger ones. They live longer lives. There are exceptions, ie emps and Az barks, but by in large the generalities can be made.

If you look at how many broods a female can have in a year. Small tropical buthids produce two or three broods yearly. Desert species have maybe one brood a year.

JOhn

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Desert sp. are less upkeep but everytime i say I'm not buying anymore P.emp's though I always do. Right now, my B.jacksoni are my fav's as they are usually active, and are very agressive feeders.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not so great at maintaining a balance between humidity and ventilation. I found that out the hard way and avoid keeping tropical species as much as possible. But, I couldn't pass up a giant Heterometrus spinifer for $15. That's the only non-desert species I keep right now, and it's not doing bad at all, as long as I flood the cage weekly.

Apart from that, everything's a Southwestern US native.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is just a guess, but I'm going to share it anyway.

In more humid areas, everything involving life seems to happen more rapidly. Plants grow faster, leaves compost faster, etc. I think it has to do with everything being so plentiful. Water and food are abundant.

In the deserts, there is lots of life, but not like a rain forest. A scorpion might have to wait longer for a meal, because there just isn't as many insects. So to be able to continue life, they have to have a longer span. If there isn't any rain for two years, and there are few insect hatching because of it, then they may not have the fuel to have a successful brood. Or the slings might not be able to find enough food and die out quickly.

This isn't a problem for a Diplocentrus that's could live for 15+ years. They still have next year. If they had the life cycle of my T. stigmurus though, that would be the end of that genetic line. Poof! Gone.

Everything is tough in the desert. It gets so hot that scorpions hardly even come out sometimes on the hottest summer nights. And the cold winter nights take out that season. Given that, they need the extra time!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i'm right there with you Aztek. i stopped keeping tropical scorps awhile ago. CO is reallllly dry, and everything seems to desicate. quickly.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
deserts. who doesnt like fattails? or H. arizonensis?

point is, most desert scorpions are more active, live longer, or are more interesting, and you dont have to worry about humidity or mites.

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
+1^^^^Death stalkers and fattails are by far the easiest and most entertainig for me :)

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
C.vittatus are still my fav.vitta. though.
Neither desert nor tropical

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
C.vittatus are still my fav.vitta. though.
Neither desert nor tropical
C. vittatus are both pretty much. There are lots of desert C. vittatus. And they can be found in areas of Louisiana that while maybe not actually tropical, are pretty darn close. Warm and humid, with mild winters. :)

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i m really really bad with desert species especially androctonus. i don't know why.
i cant tell you how many andros ive lost because it's too many.

but i think im not too bad with tropical ones.{D

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like tropical scorpions cause those Androctonus and Parabuthus and such pose no challenge. Put them on sand, few hides, weekly cricket and there you go.....

psychofox

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, in my opinion it's the exact opposite!:?:D Tropical buthids seems to grow like hell and breed like rats. Just look at the new Rhopalurus species that came into the hobby in the last 1-2 years, now they're everywhere. You practically get these species thrown after you.

In my opinion, breeding Parabuthus and Androctonus species poses much greater challenges. Look at for example P. villosus oranje. This species has been in the hobby much longer than the aforementioned Rhopalurus species, but it's still very rare and sought after.

It's not without reason that even though I focus mainly on Parabuthus and Uroplectes species, i still breed a few Centruroides and Tityus spp. to keep up my self confidence while waiting for my Parabuthus species to give birth:D

I like tropical scorpions cause those Androctonus and Parabuthus and such pose no challenge. Put them on sand, few hides, weekly cricket and there you go.....

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, in my opinion it's the exact opposite!:?:D Tropical buthids seems to grow like hell and breed like rats. Just look at the new Rhopalurus species that came into the hobby in the last 1-2 years, now they're everywhere. You practically get these species thrown after you.

In my opinion, breeding Parabuthus and Androctonus species poses much greater challenges. Look at for example P. villosus oranje. This species has been in the hobby much longer than the aforementioned Rhopalurus species, but it's still very rare and sought after.

It's not without reason that even though I focus mainly on Parabuthus and Uroplectes species, i still breed a few Centruroides and Tityus spp. to keep up my self confidence while waiting for my Parabuthus species to give birth:D
LOL :D Although Rhopalurus bonettii is a very slow growing species and not easy to breed, most tropical Buthids do breed like rabbits yes.
but, in general you see popular species in the hobby and everybody buys these, but not everybody breed them or keep them for longer periods of time, so they also dissappear quickly from the hobby.

I knew that P.villosus oranje where rare when I bought them, but that they would be THAT popular, I didn't know.

Regards, Michiel

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
deserts. who doesnt like fattails? or H. arizonensis?

point is, most desert scorpions are more active, live longer, or are more interesting, and you dont have to worry about humidity or mites.
Couldn't have said it better myself.... well, except for maybe bolding "H. arizonensis" {D{D I just love the species. They're always up to mischief during the late night hours.

- Jeff

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
desert scorpions are easier. you can do more with humid scorps though, and their behavior is much different. jungle scorps are much cooler, but require so much work all the time.

psychofox

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To those who thinks desert enclosures has to be boring, check out the enclosures by the user fenriz on the venomlist here. It's pure art:)