Mexican Rose Hair..Real or figment of the imagination?

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One of the Ts we have is what is called a Mexican Rose Hair, Aphonopelma Pallidum. She's a great girl...she loves me and loves to bite my husband every chance she gets! But...here's the problem, I've looked everywhere to find this species name and have only found it in one place, The Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Stanley and Marguerite Schultz. I have found it no where else, either in books or on the web. Did my poor girl get her name changed or is she an illusion? Anyone got any clues as to Crikey's name?

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You might want to try brachypelma pallidum...also known as mexican rose hair....peace...

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I've been told that the B. pallidum's classification has recently been changed to Aphonopelma pallidum.... anyone know more about this? (Another common name: Rose Grey!)

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aphonopelma pallidum (F. O. P.-Cambridge, 1897)....................Mexico
Eurypelma p. F. O. P.-Cambridge, 1897a: 21, pl. 1, f. 17 (Dm; not f, =A. albiceps).
Brachypelma p. Smith, 1986b: 50, f. 30h (Tm from Eurypelma=Avicularia).
Brachypelma p. Smith, 1987d: 50, f. 30h (m).
A. p. Smith, 1993a: 14 (Tm from Brachypelma=Euathlus per Raven).
A. p. Smith, 1995: 127, f. 549-559 (m).
A. p. Peters, 2000a: 38, f. 102 (m).

B. pallidum's classification has recently been changed to Aphonopelma pallidum

1993 is not recent :)

that is IF your spider is a A. pallidum. when she molts, look at the spermatecea. Brachypelma have a single fused spermatecea, Aphonopelma have a double one.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
1993 is recent in the terms that I STILL haven't seen anyone calling them A. pallidum! I bought mine as B. pallidum... 10 years AFTER the change.

But, my mom didn't get a touch-tone phone until 2000.... talk about BEHIND the times!!!:p

At any rate, archaic as we are.... THANKS FOR THE INFO! Mucho appreciado!=D

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

here in Europe there has been sold a Brachypelma sp. as "Brachypelma pallidum" or "Aphonopelma pallidum" for years, which recently has been described as Brachypelma verdezi.
  • SCHMIDT, G. (2003): Das Männchen von Brachypelma verdezi sp. n. (Aranea: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae), einer häufig mit Aphonopelma pallidum verwechselten Vogelspinnenart aus Mexiko. Tarantulas of the World 86: 4-9.
all the best,
Martin

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
I've been told that the B. pallidum's classification has recently been changed to Aphonopelma pallidum.... anyone know more about this? (Another common name: Rose Grey!)
yup you're right acording to a dealer of mine;) ...... be easy

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
man thats crazy, do T'z often change names like this.

Sam,

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by pelo
You might want to try brachypelma pallidum...also known as mexican rose hair....peace...
never heard of a Rose Grey being called that before:? :? i seem em as a Rose Tarantula tho.

Josh