its getting out of hand.....

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Where do you draw the line with how much you spend in this hobby? Ive just shelled out £160 for a couple of breeding projects and taking into account the amount of money I already have in my collection its getting out of hand...

How much have you guys spent?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A bunch. Earlier this summer I went to an expo and spent about $350 on arachnids. It was a week after my birthday though so I figure I had in coming. I've heard of people plunking down as much as $1,000 for a breeding pair of a special species.

Seriously though, compared to herps, this hobby is cheap. I've seen 6" baby snakes going for like, $20,000 because of their rare genes. There is no such thing as a $20,000 tarantula, at least none that i've ever heard of.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A bunch. Earlier this summer I went to an expo and spent about $350 on arachnids. It was a week after my birthday though so I figure I had in coming. I've heard of people plunking down as much as $1,000 for a breeding pair of a special species.

Seriously though, compared to herps, this hobby is cheap. I've seen 6" baby snakes going for like, $20,000 because of their rare genes. There is no such thing as a $20,000 tarantula, at least none that i've ever heard of.
:eek:

Ok, I thought I was spending enough on this hobby. Glad i'm not into herps!

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Crazy money!!! I know they cost more but....

:eek:

Ok, I thought I was spending enough on this hobby. Glad i'm not into herps!
I fully concur!!!

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have spent a fair amount on T's I REALLY wanted, but I don't smoke, go out to bars, do illegal things.... so I figure, why not indulge in something that makes me happy, even though its addictive.

Don't spend the rent, food or utilities money and you should be fine.

The most I ever spent on a single T was $600.00.

PIG-

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have spent a fair amount on T's I REALLY wanted, but I don't smoke, go out to bars, do illegal things.... so I figure, why not indulge in something that makes me happy, even though its addictive.

PIG-
P.metallica or M.balfouri???

All in all I guess Ive spent close to £1000 on the T's alone all the shelving, heating and enclosures aren't even included in that, its just too addictive....

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

PIG-
Know what Pig, that is a VERY fair point! That alone helped me feel better on the money I have spent on this hobby though... T's make me and my boys happy! You got me beat on the most on one T part. I spent $500 on a pair.

:)

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
P.metallica or M.balfouri???

All in all I guess Ive spent close to £1000 on the T's alone all the shelving, heating and enclosures aren't even included in that, its just too addictive....
P met female, with that said, I paid $275.00 on a guaranteed male to mate with her, and it molted out female, so the gods love me afterall{D

CAK, as long as we are responsible, there is no reason we can't indulge from time to time.

PIG-:)

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
costs of Ts alone:
versi-20$
h.mac- 30$
LP- 15$
adult Haplo. Vonwirthi- 8$ lol

then i sorta went all out on my tank for my LP to go in when it gets bigger and have spent over 100$ on it.. lol

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
CAK, as long as we are responsible, there is no reason we can't indulge from time to time.

PIG-:)
Amen PIG! :)

And that P. metallica that was turned out male was +1 to the T gods for you mate!

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first T was an Avic.avic that I bought at Petco for 28 dollars, and spent about 40 dollars on supplies, and then another 20 dollars to make a plexiglass door for the tank.
My second T is my G.pulchra, and he was 45 dollars plus 30 dollars shipping, so I spent 75 dollars on him(most expensive purchase to date).
I got my misidentified L.difficilis(bought as G.rosea) for 20 bucks at a horrible LPS, and she turned out to be female. {D
My other three Ts were all in one order: A 20 dollar P.cancerides(that I may be trading soon), 5 dollar B.albopilosum sling, and a freebie N.colloratovillosus. This last purchase was made in a way that I could get my money's worth.

Looking at my collection, I'm pretty sure that it's worth a looooot more than what I spent to obtain it.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I've spent quite a bit on T's (more than I ever thought I would) so far, but I've definitely spent more on reptiles - especially considering the cost of a set up for reptiles. It costs a lot more to set up a tank for a reptile than a tarantula. That's one reason it's so easy to continue adding T's to my collection. Although I do have quite a few T's on my wish list that would cost the same as a new reptile and set up together. :p

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Every penny I spend on T's is a penny I see as well spent!!!

Although it does get expensive......

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have spent probably $300... Maybe $400 on my collection.. I have made most of mine from trades.. I bought a few though... Not many.. I bought a few lots.. Then traded some of those lots.. I think I have done pretty good with not spending a whole lot of money..

Here soon.. I should have a P. metallica.. I am getting it in a trade.. :D

The H. gigas slings will be up for trade real soon.. ;) As will my A. avic slings! ;) :D {D :} :cool:

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i'm impressed at how little i've spent on Ts so far, actually. maybe $200 total since i started in jan. like someone said earlier about herps, i used to be into fishkeeping. tell me that's not a way to kill your hard earned money faster than you can blink, it was so easy to blow $200 on a shiny, fully stocked 20gal setup with my employee discount back in the day. or $150 on just a tank.

i have members of my family that are actually happy i got in this hobby because fishkeeping was killing my wallet and taking up all of the space in my apt. ditto for any other animals too (i've bred, rescued && rehomed pretty much every type of rodent). i'll pour as much money into this hobby as i darn well want to as long as all my other bills are getting paid first and food is on the table, because its either that or xbox games, and god knows i don't need any more of those to kill my social life with :D

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, my name is Michael and I have done a few things I am not proud of for money to go towards my tarantulas.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have spent way more on Bearded dragons than I ever have on tarantulas.

I have spent nearly $2300 alone on the dragons.
nearly $400 on cages.
Also, around 4000-5000 crickets per month, 150 hornworms per month, 400 Phoenix worms per month, buying different greens and veggies every week, switch out UVB bulbs every 5 or 6 months, Supplements, etc... So you are looking at approximately $225 per month in food, and another $100 or so every 5-6 months for UVB lighting. And that's not to mention how it affects your electricity bill.

And that's just for 9 dragons... I couldn't imagine being one of the big scale breeders, with 50+ large breeding adults and hundreds of babies...

So yeah, this hobby is actually one of the cheapest, as far as "exotic animals" go.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm also into horses. This hobby doesn't compare to my other one :rolleyes:

Right now i'm horseless & not currently in an area offering any lessons in the styles of riding i'm interested in. So at the moment I don't really care how much I drop into Ts. Although i'm happy not to have monthly feed bill, vet bill, farrier bill, the time needed, etc etc.