horns in sexing

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For Ceratogyrus darlingi and Ceratogyrus marshalli, I heard that males do not develop as much horns as females do. Without looking at the exuvium or the ventral view of a C. darlingi, can I say the T is a female based on the presence of a developed horn?

The tarantula in question is already around 3.5 -4 inches DLS. I will try to get a picture later.

Can anyone give inputs please.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks, Chocoboizm. The thread helped me a lot.

Now with my C. darlingi... anyone could give a guess on the gender?

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am not good at ventral sexing but probably from the horn, if that horn thread is correct. I say female.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im going to have to go with female on yours.. Based on its size.. Maybe if you can get a better ventral shot then that could help...

I personally do not think you can go off the horn in itself...

In the thread that was offered.. We were talking about the C. darlingi & that C. marshalli... IMO.. The C. darlingi has a big differance in the horn growth than the marshalli.. As Steve showed the male & female have diff. horns as they grow.. The male has a nub.. Female has a horn..

The C. darlingi both have a horn.. The male darlingi has a much larger horn than the male marshalli..

Here is a picture of my MM darlingi... If you notice.. That horn is in fact not a nub.. ;) It is a 3.5" MM...

See if you can get some ventral shots... Also.. I have a question.. The T in the photos.. It has not been to long since it has molted.. Has it? The fangs look a tad on the reddish side.. If so.. You should be able to open the molt up and sex it real easy....

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks, Tommy. I got cofused with the exuvium. You are correct, he/she just molted. I saw something but its too small compared to the ones I see for Grammostola or Brachypelma species. And then there's the horn growth thing.

I will try to post pictures of the exuvium, if I can still find it. lol

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I lost the exuvium, tommy. I guess I'll just have to wait til next molt.