Best Mail Service for Sending T's? (in the U.S.)

USPS, UPS, or FedEx?

• Total voters

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Voted USPS. All others are just to expensive IMHO.With Fed Ex,we would have paid $47 for 2 day air,for a $20 spider.Turned around,and went to the local post office.never looked back,either.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I voted USPS, but thats the only service I have ever dealt with. They only lost one of the packages that I sent out. Luckily it didnt contain anything that was alive.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I say Fedex..

From where I am in Tx.. It takes 2 days for USPS to ship a package Express.. For Priority.. It takes 2-3 days & have had one last as long as 7 during the winter..

It takes a day for Fedex.. Its a tad higher priced.. But for timing.. Its worth it..

However, I do use USPS most of the time..

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I say Fedex..

From where I am in Tx.. It takes 2 days for USPS to ship a package Express.. For Priority.. It takes 2-3 days & have had one last as long as 7 during the winter..

It takes a day for Fedex.. Its a tad higher priced.. But for timing.. Its worth it..

However, I do use USPS most of the time..
It takes two days for USPS for express as well for me. So fedex is worth the extra money, at least you get what you pay for.

Hatiwolf

Arachnopeon
For keeping the hobby alive ... USPS priority. As prices artificially inflate hobbyists quit. With fedex and ups moving my Ts I would only buy from local shows and never ship anything in at those prices. That would be the end of tarantula keeping as we know it as most of us arent silly enough to spend 30+ bucks on shipping. Besides ... ive had tarantulas sit over a week being delivered due to screwups in shipping. As long as the shipper knows husbandry and how to pack your Ts will be fine. If someone doesnt know how to ship or how to contain the animal safely, even overnight shipping will result in deaths. Besides ... you cant beat the $6.50 to ship priority.

For snakes ... fedex. I spend up to several thousand dollars at a time buying high end snakes that will not survive forever without air and water ... usually the shipping is included when you cut a deal that big. I have the packages held at a 24 hour fedex office store and simply go pick it up even as late as 1 am in some cases since the fedex guy wont leave packages. Im a 10 minute drive of 2 of them that are 24 hours.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you ship USPS you're breaking the law, thus potentially giving the hobby a black eye. People will do what they want, but they should understand that using the post office is illegal and consequences are possible.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
shipping usps might be illegal but its the best way to go....cheapest and actually gets there....i had shipped a 4 foot tall box ups, and it was lost....

BillMNJ

Arachnosquire
Breaking the law? Can u expound on this for me? I have ordered about a dozen specimens (most fairly hot scorps) ant the only guy shipping fedex routinely was Ken. All others were sent USPS.
Thanks

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
It is illegal to send snakes and venomous animals through the Postal Service. And catfishrod, you say its illegal but the best way to go? How so? If just one person gets caught, could shut down the whole hobby completely.

Breaking the law? Can u expound on this for me? I have ordered about a dozen specimens (most fairly hot scorps) ant the only guy shipping fedex routinely was Ken. All others were sent USPS.
Thanks

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i understand what you are saying....but i doubt it would shut down anything except the one person...i mean its not like they are going to open every single box shipped to make sure...the only advice i can give is, dont give any reasons to get caught...if they ask flammable,no potentially hazerdous,no perishable,no if they do ask tell them its toy for your cousins birthday..make something up...im not even close to the only person in the usa that uses usps...
It is illegal to send snakes and venomous animals through the Postal Service. And catfishrod, you say its illegal but the best way to go? How so? If just one person gets caught, could shut down the whole hobby completely.

Deftones90

Arachnosquire
I prefer ups or fedex only because with them I know where my stuff is. With the postal service I have to constantly go back and forth between the tracking stuff online and the actual postal service. With them being the jerks they are it's just a big guessing game when the tracking says it's in town but the emplyees say otherwise. And then there's the whole thing with them being too lazy to bring the boxes to my door and instead just shove them in my mailbox....

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
I completely understand...almost EVERYONE uses USPS. All im saying is it takes one person to do the wrong thing or something stupid and the government could start another ban, just like the boa/python ban they tried to pull recently.

i understand what you are saying....but i doubt it would shut down anything except the one person...i mean its not like they are going to open every single box shipped to make sure...the only advice i can give is, dont give any reasons to get caught...if they ask flammable,no potentially hazerdous,no perishable,no if they do ask tell them its toy for your cousins birthday..make something up...im not even close to the only person in the usa that uses usps...

BillMNJ

Arachnosquire
Wow, I had no idea. I completely agree tho. What Deftones says about FedEx is also true. I like knowing exactly where things are, and with FedEx, you do. My worst fear with any shipping co is getting the box crushed or ripped and no animal inside. That would be a nightmare. Don't want the postal inspectors to be knocking on my door...