dead OBT

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
*sigh* Dead p. murinis sling,

I dont know why. I posted that the container was moldy the other day, but it wasnt THAT moldy, I changed it as soon as I saw mold.
Yesterday, the sling was out of its new webbed up corner, in a threat posture and I laughed because there was no reason for it, I walked in the room and it was posturing as if to tell the world how "t'd" off it was for being relocated.
Today, dead. not even death curl dead, but more like splatted dead. Legs straight out, body flat on the substrate. At first I didnt even see it, it blended in with the substrate. I thought it to be 'faking' touched it with a Qtip..no movement at all. etcetcetc. Dead.
:(

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I feel your pain. I found my first dead T yesterday (other than the one I acidentally killed with a space heater) - and it was sad. Nematodes (i think). :8o

wineorebellion

Arachnopeon
mold / or bacteria / mites u name the lil bastard

<Poopies>, that is ruff, well check this out, i wish i would have seen this, but this is my first day on here, well couple things I can offer, 1. mites and mold are potentially hazradous to a tarantula, but it is nealry un avoidable, cricket parts, moisture, this all draws them, and we can only see so much of the dirt a spider leaves, these are not dirty creatures by no means, but like us there are susceptbale to bacteria, cotton balls in a water dish if they are not changed, and once the parasites are insdie the spider, adios, not much you can do then basically what I am saying is that this infection was probably lingering in the terrium b4 it was even noticable to you, and this is defenantly not your fault, it happens, I lost a pinktoe this way, but you live and learn, I worry about mites and fungus due to my tawni baboon tarantula, she lives underground and there is a minor mite infestaion in the cage, mites do eat dead criket parts, and what is left of the spiders feces, but when they start harboring to your spider no good ! I am working on an organic solution to this, besides 2 cage sustrate cleanings a year, believe it or not SOWBUGS! yes a <EDIT> rolly polly / pillbug is a new theroy I am working on, BUT I AM STILL RESEARCHING THIS ! you prbably thinking pillbug, what the hell? Well they do eat mites, and fungus, and a larger spider doesnt seem to show any intersrest in them, where as a younger juvinle spider may, but this is the aspect that i am currently studying, <poop> somtimes expiramntation is a neccisity, but i m not going to ever use a large numeber of therse, i would say 2 to three of these are sufficent. But check up on mites and fungal's.

Last edited by a moderator:

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am so sorry for your loss. I've only lost one T so far and it really stinks, (other than the male that got munched recently.)

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just wish I COULD FIND my usambara oranges.... 2 of those, a redknee, and a curved horned baboon all loose in my bedroom :?

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
RazorRipley said:
I just wish I COULD FIND my usambara oranges.... 2 of those, a redknee, and a curved horned baboon all loose in my bedroom :?
LOL!!! how'd they manage to escape? forgot to close the lid?

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wineorebellion said:
<Poopies>, that is ruff, well check this out, i wish i would have seen this, but this is my first day on here, well couple things I can offer, 1. mites and mold are potentially hazradous to a tarantula, but it is nealry un avoidable, cricket parts, moisture, this all draws them, and we can only see so much of the dirt a spider leaves, these are not dirty creatures by no means, but like us there are susceptbale to bacteria, cotton balls in a water dish if they are not changed, and once the parasites are insdie the spider, adios, not much you can do then basically what I am saying is that this infection was probably lingering in the terrium b4 it was even noticable to you, and this is defenantly not your fault, it happens, I lost a pinktoe this way, but you live and learn, I worry about mites and fungus due to my tawni baboon tarantula, she lives underground and there is a minor mite infestaion in the cage, mites do eat dead criket parts, and what is left of the spiders feces, but when they start harboring to your spider no good ! I am working on an organic solution to this, besides 2 cage sustrate cleanings a year, believe it or not SOWBUGS! yes a <EDIT> rolly polly / pillbug is a new theroy I am working on, BUT I AM STILL RESEARCHING THIS ! you prbably thinking pillbug, what the hell? Well they do eat mites, and fungus, and a larger spider doesnt seem to show any intersrest in them, where as a younger juvinle spider may, but this is the aspect that i am currently studying, <poop> somtimes expiramntation is a neccisity, but i m not going to ever use a large numeber of therse, i would say 2 to three of these are sufficent. But check up on mites and fungal's.
Isopods (pillbugs,sowbugs and rolly pollies) Have been discussed on the boards before. Do a search and you will get plenty of info. and pics. They don't eat mites or fungus. They eat the food remains that attract mites and harbor fungus. They are also mentioned in the TKG.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How long before you declared it dead. My obt sling died of mold [essentialy] I took the body out and placed it in an open contianer [it was pasted the curled up stage and now very limp] within a few hours I noticed movement [good thing as I was going to disect it/examine it] and within an hour after then it had completly resrung into life. guess all it needed was fresh air