soaking a molt

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
My g. Pulchras molted a few weeks back and I didn't have enough know-how to stretch the it out. Now it is pretty dry of course but I would like to confirm the sex if possible. I was on the sexing for dummies section and noticed people soak the molts to get them to lay right. I can't find any info on how long to soak it or how much damage it does or does not do to the molt. I don't want to do it wrong if I only have one shot so I thought i would ask before I did damage and made it to difficult to use. A little info would be nice. Thanks.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My g. Pulchras molted a few weeks back and I didn't have enough know-how to stretch the it out. Now it is pretty dry of course but I would like to confirm the sex if possible. I was on the sexing for dummies section and noticed people soak the molts to get them to lay right. I can't find any info on how long to soak it or how much damage it does or does not do to the molt. I don't want to do it wrong if I only have one shot so I thought i would ask before I did damage and made it to difficult to use. A little info would be nice. Thanks.
I have tutorial videos on this. 3 of them. All the info there.

[YOUTUBE]IIYzbCLTVww[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]KYRhHQckwco[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]5rro_JDWNpI[/YOUTUBE]

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All I do is put a few drops of water on the abdomen to rehydrate it. Never really had to soak anything. If it dries in a weird position, I put a few drops into the prosomal area to rehydrate the joints and get the legs stretched out. With smaller specimens, doing that will get the water throughout the whole of the legs by capillary action, letting you put them into whatever position.

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Thank you both, anubis and talon. That is exactly what I was looking for. Looking forward to hopfully sexing my T once and for all. I bought a female and paid female prices, I am hoping for the best.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hey doc, scabies is having a bbq in La Verne at the end of september. you can bring molts and spiders to have ppl sex 'em for you there, if you want.

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Wow cacoseraph that would be an honor. Thanks for the invite. That would be cool.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ha, my pleasure. the more the merrier and what not.

plus, it's almost always a learning experience for someone (not nec. you) to see how sexing works irl.

plus, it's just freakin fun to get to hang out with a bunch of bug ppl