Psalmopoeus irminia slings?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey,...
this is my first topic on this side of the board :8o,....
well,...
i've got some slings of Psalmopoeus irminia and i was wondering what's best to raise them to adult?
i mean, i've read they are burrowing when they are small slings
so would it'll be best to give them a very deep substrate or give them a corkbark to climb on?
and at exactually what size of sling do Psalmopoeus irminia's stop burrowing?

thanx :D

and sorry for my bad english

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
no way steven cant believe you got those, they are my next spider to get, they are just gorgeous.seen some P cambridgei last week sorry i didnt get them now. ah well come feb il probably posting same questions as you. good luck with them see ya :)

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
hey Wayne
yeah i was searching for some along time ago at the same fair where i got the pil's i bought these :D

it is not cause i don't post often on this side of the board that i don't like T's :p =D =D =D

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine didn't burrow. It was a very active sling also. Hardly ever in hiding. When I got mine it was in a container with about 1" of substrate then on top of that, some moss and it built a tube web into the moss. From what I understand, they dont' ever really burrow but they make their webs at the bottom of their tanks. They will probably make a tube behind the corkbark. Good luck, they are awesome Ts.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
@Navaros ,.....
that about the same way i'm keeping them now:

1" substrate with a bit of moss and a corkbark sticking out of it,...

so i guess i shouldn't change the set-up for these beauty's ?

keeping them very moist was told me also,.... guess that's correct as they are venezuala types :?

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, unless someone more experienced has a better answer, I would say keep them like that, though I hate the moss because the crickets hide in it. I think mine died because the humidity was too low, it ate and was very active and healthy, woke up one morning to a dead Pirminia. :( Was perfect the night before. Humidity is the only answer I can think off why she died.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got mine at 1.75" and it is now 2.5" and yes it does burrow... it finds a good spot at the base of cork bark and then burrows down into the substrate leaving its front legs out waiting for an innocent cricket to hop on by...

anthony86

Arachnopeon
is this species belong to tree climing species?
high is more important than floor space?
i am going to have one sling next week...
wish know more bout it

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's best to have some height although they won't always take advantage of it. My babies all have burrowed and then tubed upwards a few inches above the ground incorporating the bedding into the tube web.

As they mature they will take up to higher parts of the cage. My adults live in cork tubes that they have extensively webbed up.

Spray about 3x's a week and don't ever let them dry out. You also have to be sure you aren't soaking them either. Keep them under 80F as well, seems they like to be a bit on the cooler side.

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The guy I am getting mine from describes them as "tweeners". Sometimes they go arborreal, sometimes they go terrestrial. So, a keeper is best off just giving both options.

He has also called them opportunistic burrowers, rather than obligate burrowers.

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine (both irminia & cambridgei) are doing exactly what UrbanJungles said. Burrowing into the substrate and then extending those higher and higher incorporating the bedding into the webbing. It really looks amazing!

Looks like two of mine MOLTED YESTERDAY!!! WHOOOHOOO! LOL. :D

Oh, and the really move QUICK through those burrows and web tubes. Sometimes, if they sense a cricket on the other side of the tube, they'll break the tube, grab the cricket and drag it inside. I've seen this 3-4 times and its really kewl.

I water (mist) them about 2x a week... sometimes more if I think it is too dry. LOL.

You will NOT regret getting these guys! :D {D

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All of the above is great. Just remember that these are definately arboreal and are built for extreme bursts of speed. Take care when you open the tank. Great spider. (I see Fred mentions that too.)

--Chris

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All of the above is great. Just remember that these are definately arboreal and are built for extreme bursts of speed. Take care when you open the tank. Great spider. (I see Fred mentions that too.)

--Chris
Yeah, I thought about that... perhaps I didn't emphasize it enough, though. Now WE have! :D

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@Navaros ,.....
that about the same way i'm keeping them now:

1" substrate with a bit of moss and a corkbark sticking out of it,...

so i guess i shouldn't change the set-up for these beauty's ?

keeping them very moist was told me also,.... guess that's correct as they are venezuala types :?

I would say that is fine, but you don't need to worry too much about humidity. They aren't super moisture dependent and too much humidity is likely to lead to mold. I would mist the enclosure 1-2 times a week and let it dry out in between.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MindUtopia is spot on with advice. These are NOT a high humidity sp....NOT a high temp. sp....
slight moisture is ok...damp sub. is not...
They will burrow as bablies....extending dirty tubing upward as they grow.
Very high strung.
Very, VERY fast.
Altogether worth the trouble.
Keep cork in cage for anchor for webbing...feed well.
You won't be sorry - these guys are hella cool!