are tarantula keepers more male than female (poll)

male or female keeper?

• male

Votes: 68 70.8%
  • female

Votes: 28 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just a poll to see if there are more male keepers than female think this might be closer than you think.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, ok, I suppose that was funny...right?:D It would have been better if you had worded it more cleverly.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can I coulnt my kids too? And my sister in law, and my friend in Reno and....oh, sorry, getting carried away again. Hey, can I count my T's????:D

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I demand a recount! (Come on ladies, get your asses in gear and VOTE!). =D

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i always thought of bugs as a guy thing. i'm actually extremely surprised there are as many female t keepers as there are. my mom screams bloody murder every time she sees a teeny tiny spider in the house, i guess some women are braver then my mom though.

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
I have taken a lot of my spiders into schools to share with the students (all ages form kindergarden to high school), and there is one thing I noticed... the girls tend to be a lot braver than the boys when it comes to spiders, lol! I thought boys were supposed to like bugs;P

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by wayne the pain
just a poll to see if there are more male keepers than female think this might be closer than you think.
There may be more guys as adult collectors, however...

I have found teenage girls are more likely to handle tarantulas than teenage guys. Females in my class over several decades have less arachnophobia in my observations. After they see the girls not getting bit, many guys will follow, but most won't lead.

There are exceptions, but this is a trend over the years in my classes.

Aragorn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Really, usually I thought the girls are freaked out by them more, but there are some boys who also freaks out too...actually, those who are not use them usually get freaked out. I have this neighbor boy who is terrified of bugs. One time I caught a dying huge dragon ( about 3 1/2" long ) and I told him to give me his hand ( which he didn't know that i have it behind me ). He did and put it on his hand and was really startled. [laugh]

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i always thought of bugs as a guy thing. i'm actually extremely surprised there are as many female t keepers as there are

I would have no clue that women were into keeping T's if it were not for the wonderful world of the Internet!
I almost began to see myself as "strange" like everyone who gave me looks when I talked about my pet tarantula. They'd say, "Why would you have such a thing? You're a girl though"
Probably why it took me 10 years before I looked into getting more.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I said male, but watch out guys, females keepers are sure to catch up soon and take over :p

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I hate bugs, you should see me around a cocroach! I won't even pick up a worm with my bare hands because they're "ewww" but give me a big, hairy spider, snake or lizzard and I'm good to go

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
spiders are not the same!

I wont even remove a spider from my house...makes me do the "willies" dance all over...the heebiejeebies...all that girly girl response...ugh...Tarantulas are not the same, they dont give me the heebiejeebies...because they are FUZZY. Naked spiders (ie..trapdoor, etc) blech..I don't like them at all.
But, I have a funny story:
We have my bfs daughter and her Navy bf visiting with us. My son asked him if wanted to see the tarantulas.Mr. Macho-tough guy sez "NO way..That is the only thing I am scared of..I cant handle being around bugs..blahblahblah". Next thing I know, my bratty five year old daughter comes walking out holding my parahybana's shedskin and sez "Here, this one isnt real" and thrusts it at him.

Almost had to use a spatula to peel him off the ceiling.

Zeus9699

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Males

There are way more male tarantula keepers but the times are changing. Back in the 1980's I would say that 99% of my sales were to males. Now, I would say that ladies make up about 25-30% of my orders.

ChainsawMonkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm actually hoping for more female keepers in the near future! All of the girls I've ever had over have freaked out when I asked them if they wanted to see the T room. I just think it would be great if more girls were into these cute fuzzies.

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I disagree.
There was a RECENT arachnoboards poll on the members and it was almost exactly 50/50 on males and females.