Bug Problem; Need Help!

Matt B

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had these little gnat like bugs in my T's tank for a while. I know they aren't mites, all they do is run around on the substrate. They are very tiny and hard to see sometimes, but I have never seen them on my cobalt. I have kept an eye on them, but now there's lot's of them everywhere. I change her water very often, I even changed it last night. When I woke up this morning there were hundreds of thes little bugs that aren't noticable until there in a small mass, floating in her water dish.

I'm going to go get some new peat moss/potting soil today. How can I kill these bugs? I think they might have been in the substrate when I bought it. Can I microwave the substrate to kill anybugs that are in it? Boil it? I don't know how to keep these things away.

Thanks,

Matt:confused:

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Most infestations are easily remedied or at least controllable.Most are suceptible to one thing...drought.Let your soil go bonedry and don't mist.Keep a water dish filled for the spider's drinking/moisture needs.If that doesn't resolve the problem..then maybe a substrate change and enclosure cleaning is deemed necessary.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when I hydrate my spagnum I do it by tossing the dry chunk into a pot of boiling water. It hydrates fast and I figure also kills any fungus or eggs that may be waiting for moisture to get going. If it gets too wet I'll take a bit and spread it on a cookie sheet in the oven to dry then mix it back into the over moist part to dry it enough.

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Do they fly when you blow air on them? That's PROBABLY phorid flies... or "horrid flies" as I call them. Just let the substrate dry out and they'll be gone.

If they are light colored and bodies seem to congregate in the water dish, that sounds more like baby crix. Although not harmful to a healthy T, they can injure or kill a sick or pre/post molt T. The best way to get rid of them is to change the substrate.

When you feed, don't leave crix in the enclosure. Give the T a little while to munch, and if she doesn't, remove the crix and try again the next day.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE LITTLE VERMIN!

Matt B

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The little bugs that are in the water are very tiny, and they just swim around on the very top. I bought some new potting soil and peat moss. I'm baking it in the oven, so I think that should kill off the little buggers that are already in it. It's going to take a while because my cobalt needs 6" of the stuff.

The adults fly around in the aquarium, while younger ones crawl around on the substrate. They aren't that big at all. I always remove what little pieces of the cricket are left. That's if I can find them!