Problem with Molt, 2 weeks and counting

jimrosefan

Arachnopeon
I've had my tarantula for over 15 years and this is the first time it's had an issue molting. It's stuck, the body is out but it's legs seem to be stuck. It's still alive, I touched it and it moves.

I will admit that I don't always keep it watered and fed on a regular basis but I did feed it and water it maybe 2 weeks before it started it's molt.

I'm at a loss as far as what I should do. I'm including a couple pics. It started it's molt against the glass and one of it's legs is pointed almost straight up. I did peel off the back, it was flipped up like normal when it molts. Doesn't see, like it is able to pull it's legs out though and I fear time is running out.

It appears that the left side legs are further out but not completely out.

I'm including a couple pictures. Thanks in advance for any help.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
<edit> Sorry to hear about this. Hope there is a way to fix him/her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Up the humidity in the tank. I've never dealt witha stuck molt so I will let the experts in, but Guarantee'd they will tell you to either ICU or Raise the humidity ASAP.

jimrosefan

Arachnopeon
Like I said, I'm going on probably close to 18 years with my tarantula and have never had issues in the past.

I keep it in my basement which is usually pretty humid, how would I go about raising the humidity more? misting the tank?

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
I figured I might get attacked. I don't fear internet warriors. Like I said, I'm going on probably close to 18 years with my tarantula and have never had issues in the past.

I keep it in my basement which is usually pretty humid, how would I go about raising the humidity more? misting the tank?
Well I see you have a screen top- Wrap that with seran wrap and mist the tank. And make sure the T has plenty of water. Is it moving around at all?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How long has it been like that? Im guessing the title of the thread is 2 weeks.. Right? If its been two weeks.. You can try to cut her out of the molt.. But there is a high chance she will die..

jimrosefan

Arachnopeon
It's not moving around. It does move it's legs if I touch it, but can't walk or anything. I'll start misting it tonight. Thanks.

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
"Problem with Molt, 2 weeks and counting" What does this mean,has your T been stuck like this for two weeks?If so I'd say things are grim!though others may have helpful suggestions.This is one of my worst fears and hope she gets out.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not moving around. It does move it's legs if I touch it, but can't walk or anything. I'll start misting it tonight. Thanks.
Misting it will not help it none.. Internal hydration is whats important during a molt..

If its been trying to molt for two weeks.. Then the out come of this might not be to well..

Try cutting it out of the molt.. When I say cut it out of the molt.. I mean cut the molt off of the spider.. Its not going to be an easy task.. But if you want to attempt to save the spider.. This is the only way..

If you dont want it to suffer... Which it will suffer while stuck in the molt.. Then place it in the freezer...

jimrosefan

Arachnopeon
I thought about helping it out of the molt but it seems pretty irritated when I touch it and I was concerned about it losing too many legs and hurting it in general.

It has been about 2 weeks stuck like that. I'm going to see if some moisture will loosen things up enough before I start pulling pieces off

jimrosefan

Arachnopeon
Alright, I'll see if i can't get it out of the molt, then go with the freezer. Not good. Thanks for the help.

Spiral_Stairs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, I can't believe it's been stuck for two weeks and is still alive! That is pretty amazing. Like redneck said, you can try to remove the exuvium but I would guess her chances of survival are pretty grim unfortunately. But one can hope. You can also try some baby oil to loosen the shed a little just make sure to keep it away from her booklungs or it could die of asphyxiation.

And just a side note. You will only get attacked by members of this board if you are given advice or constructive criticism and you act like a complete arse about it.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can also try some baby oil to loosen the shed a little just make sure to keep it away from her booklungs or it could die of asphyxiation.
Have you ever tried baby oil? Just curious.. I have had a P. irminia stuck in a molt.. Tried using wet q-tips to get the exo wet.. Plus some small sissors to try and cut off the exo.. I failed at my attempts... So I ended up placing the irminia in the freezer..

Spiral_Stairs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have you ever tried baby oil? Just curious.. I have had a P. irminia stuck in a molt.. Tried using wet q-tips to get the exo wet.. Plus some small sissors to try and cut off the exo.. I failed at my attempts... So I ended up placing the irminia in the freezer..
No I haven't, honestly. I haven't had that many molt problems *knock on wood*. But I see that as a possible solution on a lot of molt stuck threads. At this point it doesn't seem like it could hurt. I really do hope she pulls through for you, but I'm at a loss on this one.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No I haven't, honestly. I haven't had that many molt problems *knock on wood*. But I see that as a possible solution on a lot of molt stuck threads. At this point it doesn't seem like it could hurt. I really do hope she pulls through for you, but I'm at a loss on this one.
Ahh.. I havent never read anyone offer baby oil as a solution.. Thats why I asked.. I dont have anything stuck in a molt.. It was a while back.. I placed it in a freezer when I couldnt get her out of the molt... I was just curious if it was tried before..

Spiral_Stairs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ahh.. I havent never read anyone offer baby oil as a solution.. Thats why I asked.. I dont have anything stuck in a molt.. It was a while back.. I placed it in a freezer when I couldnt get her out of the molt... I was just curious if it was tried before..
I didn't want to say because I'm not completely sure, but I also think the Tarantula keepers guide makes mention of baby oil for this purpose. And the last part of that post was aimed at the op, sorry for the confusion.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Glycerin is suggested in the TKG.

Baby oil is just mineral oil with added fragrance. IIRC the TKG advised against mineral oil because it could be harmful if the T ingests it, or becomes coated in it.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
START CUTTING IT OUT OF ITS MOLT!!!!

Two weeks, its not getting out by itself. I have had a few T's stuck in molts, but not to that extent. I would moisten the molt at the points where it meets the T, and start nipping off the molt a lil at a time.

Its either that or you put it out of its misery. Two weeks:eek:

PIG-

Spiral_Stairs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Glycerin is suggested in the TKG.

Baby oil is just mineral oil with added fragrance. IIRC the TKG advised against mineral oil because it could be harmful if the T ingests it, or becomes coated in it.
Thanks for clearing that up. I have a copy of the revised edition but it's been a while since I've read through it.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
START CUTTING IT OUT OF ITS MOLT!!!!

Two weeks, its not getting out by itself. I have had a few T's stuck in molts, but not to that extent. I would moisten the molt at the points where it meets the T, and start nipping off the molt a lil at a time.

Its either that or you put it out of its misery. Two weeks:eek:

PIG-
Have ti say I agree. You could try mixing up a little dawn dish soap with some water to help moisten the molt faster. then attempt to very gently take it off.

If you do get it off its not going to be able to walk, not at least untill it molts again.